Measuring sound quality - can it be done ???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
On Reflection......

"An interesting commentary, but I remain sceptical. I want to
hear the loudspeaker that results from this thinking"

I agree that his aperiodic approach seems like a good and reasonable argument, and yes I would like to hear them too.
His LF extension claims are interesting, and merit listening tests.

Anyway, this thread is entitled "Measuring sound reproduction quality - can it be done ??? ", and on recent reflection, I would say mostly yes, if the measure is enjoyment factor, and also that quality ought to be resonably measurable given appropriate weighting to the appropriate variables in a typical replay systems.

Noise, THD and IMD, phase behavior, load dependence and stability, spectral behaviour and frequency response are a set of variables that ought to reasonably describe any amplifier, and give some categorisation, but there still ends up being a sound factor that is not explained by typical theory and measurements.

In my experience, I have heard all sorts of live, recording and replay systems, and all sorts of amplifiers, cd players, speakers, desks, ob gear, tuners - you name it and they all have individual particular sonic characteristics, according to the circuit and constructional techniques used.

It ends up to the reviewer or consumer to categorise these additional factors, and form a longer term view and opinion, and it is this 'livability/home enjoyment factor" that makes or breaks a system.

Of course, a system is made up of individulal stages (parts), and how these interact is another mission critical factor, and this is immeasurable in normal testing measurements.
In my experience and opinion IMD is mostly the dominant 'good music vibe' damaging factor, but when this is removed, the music may require some harmonic distortion to add back the 'feel good factor'.

Clinical, but pleasant and nice reproduction reveals master tapes in naked form, and fun nuances added in mixdown production become evident, close mic'd sounds appear placed within a curtain between the speakers, and more distant recorded sounds can 'appear' behind the speaker cabinets or right in front of your forehead, and further sounds coming from way out past left and right, but this is still not the final arbiter.

Groovy and dancing sounding replay gear in your home makes for a happy living environment, but perhaps sadly, this factor is not particulaly precisely measurable.

Measurements will never replace subjective opinions, and although when implemented correctly, objective measurements may go close, but will never be able to replace the ultimate subjective long term listening and living experience.

Eric.

PS - See the 'Sound Of Chassis Thread'

I guess you could say that when we listen carefully we are
measuring.

The mind does not trust it, but the other aspects of our being
are quite happy with it.

Crack a cold one, listen, enjoy.

Even tweaking is because we enjoy it. All these types of things are
somehow emotionally charged, or we would'nt do it.
It then becomes a question of where the valuation is.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.