F1, F2, F3 listening impression - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th June 2007, 04:48 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default F1, F2, F3 listening impression

I've been toying with F1, F2, F3 since about ten months (soon an elephant pregnency timing) in order to find out what best suits what. The setup : a 4 ways fostex horns driven system with a kliphshorn for the bass. A digital xover filter because it allows to set the phase and the delay compensation. Each Fs is therefore driving one driver.

Some smallish issues

F3 has 100uV noise which you can clearly hear with over 100db drivers. An LPAD helped to reduce the noise, thank you Mr Pass for the spec.

F1 has a slight thump up at turn on (80mV) which i don't like when driving tweeter, but anyway...
all have - I find - a small mecanical noise that relates to the of AC supply transformers (might change them in the future)

One F3 had an input badly screwed which did some miss contact (not a problem),

Listening rationale (oups somehow not logic here). Music is a matter of taste, of the type of music and the setup (devices and room), so my comments are nothing objective. I only tried to determine which amps would be best suited for which driver i.e frequency according to my tastes. So I swapped the Fs between the four drivers and listened and listened and and and....

In the end F1 appreared best suited for bass. It lacks nevertheless the headroom a voltage amps has. F1 is very precise and the amount of control is exercice on the driver is impressive. It is not sensitive to wire (have testes with 4mm2, 6mm2, OCOS with no differences) Nevertheless with some complex music (classics with organ or piano) it lack the depth and room in the bass region. I wondered if that is related to the little amount of power. F1 is not as fast and precise as F2 in the upper range. I found it a bit (a very small bit) bumpy in the mid range. So I settle for the bass although in some cases I would prefer a voltage amp. Compared to the voltage amp, the F1 is more precise (thus the impression of limited ?). In some instance I found it lacks the speed of conventional amps, that is what probably gives him a bit of a warmth in the lower bass which it rocks. It is not as fast / brutal bass amps as some voltage can be. Matter of taste again,

F3 are warm and a light colour effect on low / mid range (630 hz to 4300hz) especially for trumpet / saxo etc and chords instruments, very nice tube like amps. Nice, soft and delicate amps. Not very fast and brutal, not as precise over the control it has on the driver like the F1, F2 and a bit (but a bit only) bumpy in the bass (80hz). Instruments with lots of hamonics are well played, although the high end treeble are lacking the definition F2 provides. I settled for the mid range

F2, amazing for the high range (> 6300hz), hellacious fast, precise (cymbals are magnificient), and silent... There is a light coloring which appear more with some musics (vocal, opera, etc)

All in all the F3 are well suited for Jazz, blues and some classical music. The F1, F2 are a allroad stuff with some light weakness (i would dare to say) when it come to deep basses. Their precision is amazing in controling the driver. But their ruthless, if the source is (as unfortunately more and more) crap, you get the crap - it is the wysiwyg music version)

Voilą, anyway all three are very nice amps and worth listening. I enjoyed and enjoy reading the FirstWatt and DiYAudio and as many times mentionned by Mr Pass those amps are tinkerer amps, you have to allow time to play, try and play with it and enjoy the listening....

One additional thing, the FirsWatt reseller RenoHifi is very helpfull and efficient.
Regards
Old 13th June 2007, 04:51 PM   #2
The one and only

Thanks very much for the comments. Your experiences echo
mine to a large degree.

Old 13th June 2007, 04:59 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Fs listening impression

Quote:
Originally posted by Nelson Pass
Thanks very much for the comments. Your experiences echo mine to a large degree.

Thanks, actually I shall say the decision to adopt Fs was based on your work / contribution for the diy audio community, and A40 which i built as well as your approach to amps whic i qualify as a
blend of simple and elegant design.

I'd be curious what are the gaps in the "Your experiences echo
mine to a large degree." Where you would "not" agree.

I'd be interested in for the F4 - in due time of course ;-)
Old 13th June 2007, 05:11 PM   #4
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Default Re: F1, F2, F3 listening impression

Quote:
Originally posted by Nicola
I've been toying with F1, F2, F3 since about ten months...............

you bought them all?

Old 13th June 2007, 05:16 PM   #5
steenoe is offline steenoe  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Fs listening impression

Quote:

I'd be interested in for the F4 - in due time of course ;-)
Ya better be!! Sell the others and invest in the F4 and a J-fet-BoZ

Steen
Old 13th June 2007, 05:21 PM   #6
Formerly "jh6you". R.I.P.

Default Re: Re: Fs listening impression

Quote:
Originally posted by steenoe

Ya better be!! Sell the others and invest in the F4 and a J-fet-BoZ

Steen

What is your time recycling record for beutiful girls oops
Old 13th June 2007, 06:00 PM   #7
steenoe is offline steenoe  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Fs listening impression

Quote:
Originally posted by Babowana

What is your time recycling record for beutiful girls oops
depending on their looks: from 3 months to eternety
The one I have got right now, is in the last category

Steen
Old 13th June 2007, 06:05 PM   #8
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Fs listening impression

Quote:
Originally posted by steenoe
depending on their looks: from 3 months to eternety
The one I have got right now, is in the last category

Steen

so-I'm not worst here.......or- re-frasing that - only one stacked for good
Old 13th June 2007, 07:48 PM   #9
The one and only

Default Re: Fs listening impression

Quote:
I'd be curious what are the gaps in the "Your experiences echo
mine to a large degree." Where you would "not" agree.
I have not encountered the bumpy midrange in the F1, but then
I did not use horn loaded Fostexes (Fostices?)

Old 14th June 2007, 02:47 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Fs listening impression

Quote:
Originally posted by Nelson Pass

I have not encountered the bumpy midrange in the F1, but then
I did not use horn loaded Fostexes (Fostices?)

Indeed, I reckon / suspected it may come from the horn and the room which is not big enough unfortunately. I also noticed the choice of the xover did influence. With some devices the bump (although not a major nuisance) was more noticable. Horn are easily bumpy in those ranges i noticed, but i quite their sonic signature.

Moste likely with the Fs and given the room, what I may once would like to improve is to get rid of the transormer mecanical noise. Now I don't know what is best. Try to find a toroidal from a other make that is more silent, encapsulate the current toroidal in a shield ? What would you suggest ? Regards

Hide this!Advertise here!