Aleph Ono Project (from PCB group buy)

Because the two other threads about the Aleph ONO PCB group purchase are a bit misleading from name, I started this new thread for all information regarding this incarnation of the ONO.

I will try to answer all questions about the PCB in this thread, rather than emailing each buyer individually. Please ask questions here, not by email. For example, I got at lease five emails about the 10uF capacitors on the board. But my time is limited. If someone else can help on questions about the Ono, please do so.

First thing to publish is a parts list (MS Excel format) . It was checked twice, but may still contain errors. If You find one, please post here. If You compare it to the original Ono schematics, You will find some differences. I will try to explain:

- the drivers for the relays is on the power supply board
- You can place a resistor in series with the relay coil to use 24V or 12v relays
- R 2 in schematics is R43 on my board (as in the original Pass placement print)
- R 28 in schematics is R10 on my board (as in the original Pass placement print)
- C29 in schematics is C25 on my board (as in the original Pass placement print)
- R 12 (from gate of Q3) in schematics is R1 on my board (as in the original Pass placement print)
- C? in schematics is C48 on my board (as in the original Pass placement print)
- Q21(right one, is double) in schematics is Q22 on my board (as in the original Pass placement print)
- C7(power supply) in schematics is C17 on my board (as in the original Pass placement print)
- R 61 (from gate of Q20) in schematics is R58 on my board (as in the original Pass placement print)

I suggest that everyone who builds one with this PCB, does a printout of the schematics and changes the parts description. These changes were necessary to keep the board layout as close to the Pass ONO.

coffin, Raka, Elio: please post Your questions again in this thread.

-Peter

I expect the PCBs to arrive on February 4th, and I will prepare everything to ship as fast as possible.

But some of the buyers still didn'n gave me their address, and some did not pay yet.

And I have three sets left to sell, because three of the interests canceled their orders.

-peter

Hi,

I haven't paid yet, please send me an email with your paypal account, I read your email in another PC and erase the email!

Well, this is my question: I'm going to build my ono in a wooden case, is this a problem? If the case is not a conductor, no possibility to ground loops with the case, right? There will be problems as the case won't shield the circuit?

Raka,

You will have less problems with possible ground loops with a wooden case. You have to test if the ono is sensitive to RF without a shielding case. This depends to some extend how much RF noise You have locally. If You get problems, You have always the option to put copper foil on the inside of the wooden case. So I do not expect serios trouble.

-Peter

The PCBs arrived today, one day delayed. I will try to ship everything today and tomorrow.

-peter

Attachments

• pcb.jpg
    pcb.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 5,680
After some hours of packing, all (paid) boards are on the way. All international shipping was done "air mail", in Europe You should get them in about a week, overseas in about two weeks.

I got 4 Ono PCBs more than ordered (had to pay them anyway), and have three sets left from one canceled orders and spare, so I can offer three sets of Ono boards with one power supply(EUR 80,-), and two sets without PS board (EUR 55,-).

Smithers said:
Hello,

i have got one more question:

Is it necessary to match some of the Fets, i mean those in the MC-stage that work in parallel ?!
Regards,
smithers

As far as I know, You should (at least) match the four JFETS of the MC stage, and the two IRF9110 (Q21, Q22) in the inverter. You can find info about MOSFET matching on www.passdiy.com .
For the JFET matching, I got a document
from Jens, it is attached as a jpg.

coffin said:
About 2SK170, it has different Idss classification:
GR(2.6-6.5mA),BL(6.0-12mA),V(10-20mA)
I can only purchase BL class, is it alright?:confused:
Do I have yo change any component's value?:(
What is the best Idss or operating current of each FET and BJT?(2SK170,2SC1844/A991,IRF610/9610.......)
:scratch: :scratch: :scratch:
Coffin

I used BL types, but just because I didn'n know better :confused: . Maybe can someone of the experts give us some enlightning? :idea:

Attachments

• jfet matching.jpg
    jfet matching.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 4,114
pquadrat said:

As far as I know, You should (at least) match the four JFETS of the MC stage, and the two IRF9110 (Q21, Q22) in the inverter. You can find info about MOSFET matching on www.passdiy.com .
For the JFET matching, I got a document
from Jens, it is attached as a jpg.
I used BL types, but just because I didn'n know better :confused: . Maybe can someone of the experts give us some enlightning? :idea:

I match 2SK170"BL" using the circiut parameter, that is the Rs=22 and Vd=15, and find out that the current thru fet should be 5-7mA.
I also check the chart on datasheet to figure out that the noise will be smaller when the current is larger in some degree.
SO......BL is right?:confused: