Attenuating input gain on X amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Modwright SWL 9.0 preamp which gain is too hot for my Pass Labs X-150 amp. I only have usable volume range to 9o clock. Is there any way to reduce the gain on the inputs of my X150 without affecting sonics? Dan at Modwright suggested I could increase the plate resistor value from 100K to 200K to reduce gain by 3db in the preamp (but this may affect bandwidth at higher frequencies). I don't know if that would be enough. I am using the single-ended inputs on the amp since the preamp is not balanced.
Any solutions from the experts? Thanks

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
jeffjazz said:
I have a Modwright SWL 9.0 preamp which gain is too hot for my Pass Labs X-150 amp. I only have usable volume range to 9o clock. Is there any way to reduce the gain on the inputs of my X150 without affecting sonics? Dan at Modwright suggested I could increase the plate resistor value from 100K to 200K to reduce gain by 3db in the preamp (but this may affect bandwidth at higher frequencies). I don't know if that would be enough. I am using the single-ended inputs on the amp since the preamp is not balanced.
Any solutions from the experts? Thanks

try using 4K7 to 22K resistor instead shorting plug on XLR pins.....
I just presume that's way to unbal connection on your amp

Formerly "jh6you". R.I.P.
Joined 2006
I use this method for my SRPP tube pre to attenuate the gain at the output. R1=4.7K/R2=22K, or R1=22K/R2=4.7K or you could use different values for your purpose.

:darkside:

Attachments

• output vol.jpg
    output vol.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 160
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.