Pumpkin Preamp - Perfect for F4 - Page 26 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2007, 11:32 PM   #251
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Columbia, SC
My gawd...between calling each other ugly and talking about everything except the circuit, you're going to end up with a thread 100 pages long. I knew there was a reason I'd been avoiding this thread.
How the hell did you decide to call this thing a Pumpkin? Did I miss the post where that was explained?
Two things:
One, your Pumpkin circuit is nearly the spittin' image of a circuit I did about two or three years ago. I used a 2SK389 (BL in case it matters) for the differential. Don't remember cascoding it, but I might have. Used IRF610s instead of '510s. Used one red LED. Otherwise, my circuit used about 2/3 the parts, but...oh, wait...mine used a follower, not transconductance output, so there is a bit of a difference after all.
Anyway, decent sounding circuit. I'm willing to bet that the Pumpkin sounds okay, too.
The other thing is that I've been doing my own sausages for a while. Seeing sausages sizzling does tend to make one hungry. Working on a chorizo recipe these days. Haven't got the paprika right yet, but I'm getting closer.

Grey

P.S.: I think I used separate rails for the front end and output to keep any residual imbalance between the sides from influencing things. Cap multiplier rather than shunt regulator for power supply.
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2007, 12:01 AM   #252
diyAudio Member
 
jacco vermeulen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: At the sea front, Rotterdam or Curaçao
Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
As this seems to be a sausage thread, question is if you have the right paprika.
The original stuff from Spain is kinda different, why all non-Spanish chorizos are major sukkk.
These 2 pounders can even be bought at a gas station in Espana=>
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pimenton2.jpg (54.7 KB, 789 views)
__________________
The buck stops Here
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2007, 12:08 AM   #253
diyAudio Member
 
mpmarino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Crunchville, where I don't fit in.
Quote:
My gawd...between calling each other ugly and talking about everything except the circuit, you're going to end up with a thread 100 pages long. I knew there was a reason I'd been avoiding this thread.
party pooper

P.S. You gotta use a lot of garlic.
__________________
Crazy Yankee.
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2007, 12:09 AM   #254
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Columbia, SC
Yep, I use Spanish oak-smoked.
Had a Mexican chorizo. They used cilantro in it. Yuk! Gimme the original Spanish-type chorizo: Pork, paprika, garlic, and salt. Okay, I cheat and use a little wine (Spanish, of course), and have experimented with very small amounts of chili pepper, just to put a little zing in it. Currently no chili pepper, though I may decide to go back to it. We shall see.

Grey
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2007, 12:18 AM   #255
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Quote:
Currently no chili pepper, though I may decide to go back to it. We shall see.
Maybe you what your missing is the stone-b-que.

Choky--count me in for some of those drekky blue pumpkin seeds when the day comes.

PS--Very nice work!

JJ
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2007, 04:05 AM   #256
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member
 
Zen Mod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: ancient Batsch , behind Iron Curtain
Quote:
Originally posted by GRollins
My gawd...between calling each other ugly and talking about everything except the circuit, you're going to end up with a thread 100 pages long. I knew there was a reason I'd been avoiding this thread.
How the hell did you decide to call this thing a Pumpkin? Did I miss the post where that was explained?
you missed two things (not that I'll say that either one is important) :
1.this is official off topic thread,
2. I don't have a clue why is it Pumpkin,except that sounds just right...and I didn't say that at all


Quote:
Two things:
One, your Pumpkin circuit is nearly the spittin' image of a circuit I did about two or three years ago. I used a 2SK389 (BL in case it matters) for the differential. Don't remember cascoding it, but I might have. Used IRF610s instead of '510s. Used one red LED. Otherwise, my circuit used about 2/3 the parts, but...oh, wait...mine used a follower, not transconductance output, so there is a bit of a difference after all.
Anyway, decent sounding circuit. I'm willing to bet that the Pumpkin sounds okay, too.
as Papa always say-there is unlimited number of variations ; which one will sound better ,under circumstances , primary depends of beholder's short circuit between ears...........
my goal was to make it with regular parts ( I'm the one who don't believe in audiophool granted toobz........every one is good ,if you know how to implement is) ; what I don't know is how,on earth, I started to mess with those three legged fuses,anyway........
so-that's why choice of 309/310..... buy a 100 and play with ...... exactly what I think to do......... (even if I didn't succeeded yet in finding "yours" j271 ).........

510/610......same drek....in this circ; my proto is made with 620/9620

and- LTP CCS with 2/6 leds is mix of Jones/P10/Geek inspired CCS variation and wish to have at least partially shared biasing between CCS and output CCSes

in both cases- yours and Pumpkin......... I think that Papa will easily invent some obscure way of counting stages......

Quote:
The other thing is that I've been doing my own sausages for a while. Seeing sausages sizzling does tend to make one hungry. Working on a chorizo recipe these days. Haven't got the paprika right yet, but I'm getting closer.
that's nothing surprising from you .....hehe

but-as some naughty soul few post up sez- you missed the stone...... if you didn't - try it.....

what you (and others) didn't saw is final installation in (at least) mine plate: onion in little particles , with pepper and serbian paprika on it (sometimes even chilli instead of serbian) ; that mix is best with few drops of Olive oil ,chilling few hours before bbque is finished........

Quote:
P.S.: I think I used separate rails for the front end and output to keep any residual imbalance between the sides from influencing things. Cap multiplier rather than shunt regulator for power supply.
for separate rails..... in this case no benefit
for non shunt .........I'm pretty stubborn regarding shunt regs
__________________
my Papa is smarter than your Nelson !
clean thread; Cook Book;PSM LS Cook Book;Baby DiyA ;Mighty ZM's Bloggg;Papatreasure;Papa...© by Mighty ZM
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2007, 04:11 AM   #257
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member
 
Zen Mod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: ancient Batsch , behind Iron Curtain
Quote:
Originally posted by jupiterjune

.......

Choky--count me in for some of those drekky blue pumpkin seeds when the day comes.

...............

JJ

needle point of shunt reg is almost done ........ 'till now (2/3 ) everything behave as planed

main pcb pattern almost finished

shunt reg pcb pattern - after (expected) positive (needle point) prototyping ......
__________________
my Papa is smarter than your Nelson !
clean thread; Cook Book;PSM LS Cook Book;Baby DiyA ;Mighty ZM's Bloggg;Papatreasure;Papa...© by Mighty ZM
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2007, 05:01 AM   #258
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Since this is the Official Off-Topic Thread, how about a group-buy on paprika!

Looney
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2007, 11:07 AM   #259
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member
 
Zen Mod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: ancient Batsch , behind Iron Curtain
Quote:
Originally posted by Zen Mod



needle point of shunt reg is almost done ........ 'till now (2/3 ) everything behave as planed

main pcb pattern almost finished

shunt reg pcb pattern - after (expected) positive (needle point) prototyping ......

hehe-he

shunt reg is working ............

ZM as Modesty B.

__________________
my Papa is smarter than your Nelson !
clean thread; Cook Book;PSM LS Cook Book;Baby DiyA ;Mighty ZM's Bloggg;Papatreasure;Papa...© by Mighty ZM
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2007, 02:48 PM   #260
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Columbia, SC
Quote:
Originally posted by Looneytunes
Since this is the Official Off-Topic Thread, how about a group-buy on paprika!

Looney

www.penzeys.com

Grey
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 10:28 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2