Pumpkin Preamp - Perfect for F4 - Page 26 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th July 2007, 11:32 PM   #251
diyAudio Member

My gawd...between calling each other ugly and talking about everything except the circuit, you're going to end up with a thread 100 pages long. I knew there was a reason I'd been avoiding this thread.
How the hell did you decide to call this thing a Pumpkin? Did I miss the post where that was explained?
Two things:
One, your Pumpkin circuit is nearly the spittin' image of a circuit I did about two or three years ago. I used a 2SK389 (BL in case it matters) for the differential. Don't remember cascoding it, but I might have. Used IRF610s instead of '510s. Used one red LED. Otherwise, my circuit used about 2/3 the parts, but...oh, wait...mine used a follower, not transconductance output, so there is a bit of a difference after all.
Anyway, decent sounding circuit. I'm willing to bet that the Pumpkin sounds okay, too.
The other thing is that I've been doing my own sausages for a while. Seeing sausages sizzling does tend to make one hungry. Working on a chorizo recipe these days. Haven't got the paprika right yet, but I'm getting closer.

Grey

P.S.: I think I used separate rails for the front end and output to keep any residual imbalance between the sides from influencing things. Cap multiplier rather than shunt regulator for power supply.
Old 13th July 2007, 12:01 AM   #252
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
As this seems to be a sausage thread, question is if you have the right paprika.
The original stuff from Spain is kinda different, why all non-Spanish chorizos are major sukkk.
These 2 pounders can even be bought at a gas station in Espana=>
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pimenton2.jpg (54.7 KB, 789 views)
Old 13th July 2007, 12:08 AM   #253
diyAudio Member

Quote:
My gawd...between calling each other ugly and talking about everything except the circuit, you're going to end up with a thread 100 pages long. I knew there was a reason I'd been avoiding this thread.
party pooper

P.S. You gotta use a lot of garlic.
Old 13th July 2007, 12:09 AM   #254
diyAudio Member

Yep, I use Spanish oak-smoked.
Had a Mexican chorizo. They used cilantro in it. Yuk! Gimme the original Spanish-type chorizo: Pork, paprika, garlic, and salt. Okay, I cheat and use a little wine (Spanish, of course), and have experimented with very small amounts of chili pepper, just to put a little zing in it. Currently no chili pepper, though I may decide to go back to it. We shall see.

Grey
Old 13th July 2007, 12:18 AM   #255
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Currently no chili pepper, though I may decide to go back to it. We shall see.
Maybe you what your missing is the stone-b-que.

Choky--count me in for some of those drekky blue pumpkin seeds when the day comes.

PS--Very nice work!

JJ
Old 13th July 2007, 04:05 AM   #256
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GRollins
How the hell did you decide to call this thing a Pumpkin? Did I miss the post where that was explained?
you missed two things (not that I'll say that either one is important) :
1.this is official off topic thread,
2. I don't have a clue why is it Pumpkin,except that sounds just right...and I didn't say that at all

Quote:
Two things:
One, your Pumpkin circuit is nearly the spittin' image of a circuit I did about two or three years ago. I used a 2SK389 (BL in case it matters) for the differential. Don't remember cascoding it, but I might have. Used IRF610s instead of '510s. Used one red LED. Otherwise, my circuit used about 2/3 the parts, but...oh, wait...mine used a follower, not transconductance output, so there is a bit of a difference after all.
Anyway, decent sounding circuit. I'm willing to bet that the Pumpkin sounds okay, too.
as Papa always say-there is unlimited number of variations ; which one will sound better ,under circumstances , primary depends of beholder's short circuit between ears...........
my goal was to make it with regular parts ( I'm the one who don't believe in audiophool granted toobz........every one is good ,if you know how to implement is) ; what I don't know is how,on earth, I started to mess with those three legged fuses,anyway........
so-that's why choice of 309/310..... buy a 100 and play with ...... exactly what I think to do......... (even if I didn't succeeded yet in finding "yours" j271 ).........

510/610......same drek....in this circ; my proto is made with 620/9620

and- LTP CCS with 2/6 leds is mix of Jones/P10/Geek inspired CCS variation and wish to have at least partially shared biasing between CCS and output CCSes

in both cases- yours and Pumpkin......... I think that Papa will easily invent some obscure way of counting stages......

Quote:
The other thing is that I've been doing my own sausages for a while. Seeing sausages sizzling does tend to make one hungry. Working on a chorizo recipe these days. Haven't got the paprika right yet, but I'm getting closer.
that's nothing surprising from you .....hehe

but-as some naughty soul few post up sez- you missed the stone...... if you didn't - try it.....

what you (and others) didn't saw is final installation in (at least) mine plate: onion in little particles , with pepper and serbian paprika on it (sometimes even chilli instead of serbian) ; that mix is best with few drops of Olive oil ,chilling few hours before bbque is finished........

Quote:
P.S.: I think I used separate rails for the front end and output to keep any residual imbalance between the sides from influencing things. Cap multiplier rather than shunt regulator for power supply.
for separate rails..... in this case no benefit
for non shunt .........I'm pretty stubborn regarding shunt regs
Old 13th July 2007, 04:11 AM   #257
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jupiterjune

Choky--count me in for some of those drekky blue pumpkin seeds when the day comes.

JJ

needle point of shunt reg is almost done ........ 'till now (2/3 ) everything behave as planed

main pcb pattern almost finished

shunt reg pcb pattern - after (expected) positive (needle point) prototyping ......
Old 13th July 2007, 05:01 AM   #258
diyAudio Member

Since this is the Official Off-Topic Thread, how about a group-buy on paprika!

Looney
Old 13th July 2007, 11:07 AM   #259
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Zen Mod

needle point of shunt reg is almost done ........ 'till now (2/3 ) everything behave as planed

main pcb pattern almost finished

shunt reg pcb pattern - after (expected) positive (needle point) prototyping ......

hehe-he

shunt reg is working ............

ZM as Modesty B.

Old 13th July 2007, 02:48 PM   #260
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Looneytunes
Since this is the Official Off-Topic Thread, how about a group-buy on paprika!

Looney

www.penzeys.com

Grey

Hide this!Advertise here!