Pumpkin Preamp - Perfect for F4 - Page 20 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th July 2007, 08:59 PM   #191
diyAudio Member

Thanks!

Quote:
buttttttttttttt:
Concerning that fancy pants shunt regulator....

Is it absolutely necessary?

Is it responsible for the magic?

Could one get away with a pass style bosoz regulated psu - especially since one has a few kicking around?

P.S. Hey, where's the mob that want's this pre? Wait, I know..... You are on thier ignore list!

Old 6th July 2007, 05:39 AM   #192
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mpmarino
Thanks!

Concerning that fancy pants shunt regulator....

Is it absolutely necessary?

Is it responsible for the magic?

Could one get away with a pass style bosoz regulated psu - especially since one has a few kicking around?

P.S. Hey, where's the mob that want's this pre? Wait, I know..... You are on thier ignore list!

you don't need that fancy reg for functioning, but remember that you need two supplies, + and - 36V........

you can use pass style reg, fer sure.........

I'm sure that you'll hear difference later,if you choose to make shunt regs, instead series ones.
as our friend Lucky Luke..........

mob......... if ya think on few lazy blood suckers and ego maniacs , guy like that blood sucker isn't capable to made Pumpkin without help of entire community even with pcbs ..........and to guy like this I'll never ever sell or give any pcb....
regarding ego maniac.......... nah....I already spent too much typing on first guy........
Old 6th July 2007, 07:20 AM   #193
steenoe is offline steenoe  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Warning!

-on topic question-

Will it drive an F4?
With ease
I didnt hear an Aleph P yet, but I beleive it to sound a bit like the BoZ/BosoZ family, so my shot at a comparison with the Pumpkin is that the Pumpkin will have a more extended topend with better details. This will result in a better soundstage in both width and depth Together with an assumed silkysmooth pleasant sound (J-fet-signature!) that is reason enough to pick the Pumpkin But thats all just speculations on my part, until our man, ZM gets the pcb's on the road
The shuntreg has the effect of a thin curtain being pulled away. At least when I have used a shuntreg, it had an open and direct sound. Like its a bit less "fuzzy" sounding than whatever its compared to. I am surely gonna need a few extra shuntreg-boards.

Steen
Old 6th July 2007, 07:28 AM   #194
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Zen Mod

mob......... if ya think on few lazy blood suckers and ego maniacs , guy like that blood sucker isn't capable to made Pumpkin without help of entire community even with pcbs ..........and to guy like this I'll never ever sell or give any pcb....
regarding ego maniac.......... nah....I already spent too much typing on first guy........
That was one of the weirdest incidents that I have seen here.
Kinda like a mad dog, biting off the hands of the one that feeds it
Old 6th July 2007, 07:53 AM   #195
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by steenoe
With ease
I didnt hear an Aleph P yet, but I beleive it to sound a bit like the BoZ/BosoZ family, so my shot at a comparison with the Pumpkin is that the Pumpkin will have a more extended topend with better details. This will result in a better soundstage in both width and depth Together with an assumed silkysmooth pleasant sound (J-fet-signature!) that is reason enough to pick the Pumpkin But thats all just speculations on my part, until our man, ZM gets the pcb's on the road
The shuntreg has the effect of a thin curtain being pulled away. At least when I have used a shuntreg, it had an open and direct sound. Like its a bit less "fuzzy" sounding than whatever its compared to. I am surely gonna need a few extra shuntreg-boards.

Steen

dunno......
I also didn't hear P, but I presume that xccswtf??! BOSOZ is pretty close,or even better with right physical execution;

P is sorta one stage (even if simetric) and Pumpkin is certainly two stage affair.

lookin at later Papa's preamp characteristics , they are certainly sorta UGS-ish (full X (up-down & left-right symetric ) or just half X (Half UGSish) simetric , like I made Pumpkin , so they must be at least two stage also;
I expect that Pumpkin isn't worse than P

better............ fer sure - with shunts.
Old 6th July 2007, 09:07 AM   #196
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by steenoe
..............I am surely gonna need a few extra shuntreg-boards.

Steen

hehe

knowing you-that will be 10 or 20 pairs extra..........
Old 6th July 2007, 09:22 AM   #197
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Zen Mod

hehe

knowing you-that will be 10 or 20 pairs extra..........

Could be an interesting task to feed everything with the shuntreg: CD-player, DAC, Preamp, hmmm ... Headphoneamp The list goes on

Old 6th July 2007, 11:59 AM   #198
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'm sure that you'll hear difference later,if you choose to make shunt regs, instead series ones.
Yes, I certainly believe you that it's better - I just need to get my brain around how it works. Also, it would turn a 1 year project into a 2 year project (I have lots of time at the PC- little time in shop); but it looks like an ideal upgrade path...

Steen please feel free to ignore my F4 and AlephP questions
Old 6th July 2007, 07:10 PM   #199
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Yes, I certainly believe you that it's better - I just need to get my brain around how it works. Also, it would turn a 1 year project into a 2 year project (I have lots of time at the PC- little time in shop); but it looks like an ideal upgrade path...

Steen please feel free to ignore my F4 and AlephP questions

bbque,beer, now rcf boxes ............

will answer later tonight........
Old 6th July 2007, 10:04 PM   #200
diyAudio Member

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by

Steen please feel free to ignore my F4 and AlephP questions [/B]
If you have a more plausible explanation, feel free to share

Hide this!Advertise here!