Pumpkin Preamp - Perfect for F4

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Manu said:

(No wonder with such a beautiful father)

nutz frenchie

Attachments

• papa.jpg
    papa.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 844
steenoe said:

Psst , lookie lookie what I picked up today;) Another dead A40 project, stowed away in a garage. I happen to have 2 of those excact heatsinks allready..... Big, big monoblocks possible;) Each heatsink weighs in at 9.5 kg. Thats about 20 lbs, for you nonmetric's. Filled with Rifa PEH169's, I simply couldnt turn it down.

Darn :eek: Where do you stumble across these big heatsinks ? No matter where i turn, it seems like the only place to get them is at Conrad, and i dare not even think about the postage.

BTW congratulations, they look really nice :)

No sausages here ...

Hi Zenmod,

Boring questions:

1. Are IRF 9610 and IRF 610 able to be used instead of the 9510 and 510 parts?
2. Are Toshiba 2SK170BL useable instead of the J309/J310?
3. Are the SOT23 versions of the J309/J310 suitable (from On-Semi), or are they too low power capability?
4. Futurlec sent me all BC546 B transistors rather than "C". How important is the hfe of these transistors?

Thanks,
George.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Re: No sausages here ...

GeorgeBoles said:
Hi Zenmod,

Boring questions:

1. Are IRF 9610 and IRF 610 able to be used instead of the 9510 and 510 parts?

2. Are Toshiba 2SK170BL useable instead of the J309/J310?

3. Are the SOT23 versions of the J309/J310 suitable (from On-Semi), or are they too low power capability?

4. Futurlec sent me all BC546 B transistors rather than "C". How important is the hfe of these transistors?

Thanks,
George.

1.yes

2.with decreased current through LTP .....to say 5mA per leg ;
in that case drain resistors (680E) must be increased in same amount as current is decreased ; use 2SK170V or even better (easier) -

3.you can use them without fear

4.just solder them in. you can also try to "match" them somehow- with DMM or in some Vbe measuring circ at 7mA . most of the time you hardly get real C part.......

My gawd...between calling each other ugly and talking about everything except the circuit, you're going to end up with a thread 100 pages long. I knew there was a reason I'd been avoiding this thread.
How the hell did you decide to call this thing a Pumpkin? Did I miss the post where that was explained?
Two things:
One, your Pumpkin circuit is nearly the spittin' image of a circuit I did about two or three years ago. I used a 2SK389 (BL in case it matters) for the differential. Don't remember cascoding it, but I might have. Used IRF610s instead of '510s. Used one red LED. Otherwise, my circuit used about 2/3 the parts, but...oh, wait...mine used a follower, not transconductance output, so there is a bit of a difference after all.
Anyway, decent sounding circuit. I'm willing to bet that the Pumpkin sounds okay, too.
The other thing is that I've been doing my own sausages for a while. Seeing sausages sizzling does tend to make one hungry. Working on a chorizo recipe these days. Haven't got the paprika right yet, but I'm getting closer.

Grey

P.S.: I think I used separate rails for the front end and output to keep any residual imbalance between the sides from influencing things. Cap multiplier rather than shunt regulator for power supply.

Yep, I use Spanish oak-smoked.
Had a Mexican chorizo. They used cilantro in it. Yuk! Gimme the original Spanish-type chorizo: Pork, paprika, garlic, and salt. Okay, I cheat and use a little wine (Spanish, of course), and have experimented with very small amounts of chili pepper, just to put a little zing in it. Currently no chili pepper, though I may decide to go back to it. We shall see.

Grey

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
GRollins said:
My gawd...between calling each other ugly and talking about everything except the circuit, you're going to end up with a thread 100 pages long. I knew there was a reason I'd been avoiding this thread.
How the hell did you decide to call this thing a Pumpkin? Did I miss the post where that was explained?

you missed two things (not that I'll say that either one is important) :
1.this is official off topic thread,
2. I don't have a clue why is it Pumpkin,except that sounds just right...and I didn't say that at all

Two things:
One, your Pumpkin circuit is nearly the spittin' image of a circuit I did about two or three years ago. I used a 2SK389 (BL in case it matters) for the differential. Don't remember cascoding it, but I might have. Used IRF610s instead of '510s. Used one red LED. Otherwise, my circuit used about 2/3 the parts, but...oh, wait...mine used a follower, not transconductance output, so there is a bit of a difference after all.
Anyway, decent sounding circuit. I'm willing to bet that the Pumpkin sounds okay, too.

as Papa always say-there is unlimited number of variations ; which one will sound better ,under circumstances , primary depends of beholder's short circuit between ears........... :devilr:
my goal was to make it with regular parts ( I'm the one who don't believe in audiophool granted toobz........every one is good ,if you know how to implement is) ; what I don't know is how,on earth, I started to mess with those three legged fuses,anyway........
so-that's why choice of 309/310..... buy a 100 and play with ...... exactly what I think to do......... (even if I didn't succeeded yet in finding "yours" j271 ).........

510/610......same drek....in this circ; my proto is made with 620/9620

and- LTP CCS with 2/6 leds is mix of Jones/P10/Geek inspired CCS variation and wish to have at least partially shared biasing between CCS and output CCSes

in both cases- yours and Pumpkin......... I think that Papa will easily invent some obscure way of counting stages...... ;)

The other thing is that I've been doing my own sausages for a while. Seeing sausages sizzling does tend to make one hungry. Working on a chorizo recipe these days. Haven't got the paprika right yet, but I'm getting closer.

that's nothing surprising from you .....hehe

but-as some naughty soul few post up sez- you missed the stone...... if you didn't - try it.....

what you (and others) didn't saw is final installation in (at least) mine plate: onion in little particles , with pepper and serbian paprika on it (sometimes even chilli instead of serbian) ; that mix is best with few drops of Olive oil ,chilling few hours before bbque is finished........

P.S.: I think I used separate rails for the front end and output to keep any residual imbalance between the sides from influencing things. Cap multiplier rather than shunt regulator for power supply.

for separate rails..... in this case no benefit
for non shunt .........I'm pretty stubborn regarding shunt regs :clown:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
jupiterjune said:

Choky--count me in for some of those drekky blue pumpkin seeds when the day comes.

JJ

needle point of shunt reg is almost done ........ 'till now (2/3 ) everything behave as planed ;)

main pcb pattern almost finished

shunt reg pcb pattern - after (expected) positive (needle point) prototyping ......