Jfet BOZ

Feeding my new F4

Having just finished my F4, I've been thinking about a suitable gain stage for it, and I have built two.

The first was a simple 5534 op-amp preamp: it seemed to work fine, but I wanted to try something a bit more exotic, so I found the JFET BOZ.

A quick lash-up on a matrix board, stuck in an L-shaped support, powered by a couple of 9 volt batteries.

Sounding good.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

No tuning yet: I'm planning to try 27V to see if there's much of a difference when I get a chance.

The gain stage is connected to an old First Sound passive preamp, so I have too many cables, but it seems to work. I omitted the gain control from the JFET BOZ therefore.

tim

Having just finished my F4, I've been thinking about a suitable gain stage for it, and I have built two.

The first was a simple 5534 op-amp preamp: it seemed to work fine, but I wanted to try something a bit more exotic, so I found the JFET BOZ.

A quick lash-up on a matrix board, stuck in an L-shaped support, powered by a couple of 9 volt batteries.

Sounding good.

No tuning yet: I'm planning to try 27V to see if there's much of a difference when I get a chance.

The gain stage is connected to an old First Sound passive preamp, so I have too many cables, but it seems to work. I omitted the gain control from the JFET BOZ therefore.

tim

You can try with a distortion analyzer for get the adequate voltage supply for your jets.

You'll be happy with BoZ. I've built four, all slightly different and a B1. I felt the B1 had a better mid-range but I needed more gain so BoZ was the answer.

I may have posted this before but here is my BoZ on a cap (BoZoaC). Shortest signal path on the planet.

Attachments

• BoZoaCs.jpg
    BoZoaCs.jpg
    325.6 KB · Views: 1,489
Last edited:
Joined 2000
Paid Member

Somewhere in this thread, Mr Pass said 16v is the sweet spot. So you are close right now.

You can try with a distortion analyzer for get the adequate voltage supply for your jets.

Or, you can try this suggestion.

Source resistor value change was also discussed. I think it changed from 10 to 22 Ohms, but check to be sure.

See post #691
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/103050-jfet-boz-97.html#post2353349

With the gain of the original BOZJ with the 2SK170 as high as it is, and the potential for overload so high, I'm surprised no one has suggested a shunt volume control... Replacing the 25K input pot with a 20K resistor in series with a 5K pot would give a much larger useful range on the pot...

Now, where did I put those J310s...

Roscoe

How do you like those J310s? I purchased a bag of them years ago and plan on using them in an upcoming project -- 300 watt class A in a choke loaded, differential follower configuration.

How do you like those J310s? I purchased a bag of them years ago and plan on using them in an upcoming project -- 300 watt class A in a choke loaded, differential follower configuration.

300W Class A, that's going to take a LOT of J310s ;)

I haven't used them for audio yet, I bought a bunch for RF work, now I just need to find the darn things....

Roscoe