Jfet BOZ

Did any of you try with other J-fets than Toshiba's? Should be easy to hear if there is much difference in sound. Readily available types like 2N54xx, J110, J309/10 comes to mind. Its often claimed that only the Toshiba's are any good for audio, this is maybe a good chance to find out.

Steen:)

Formerly "jh6you". R.I.P.
Joined 2006
steenoe said:
Did any of you try with other J-fets than Toshiba's? Should be easy to hear if there is much difference in sound. Readily available types like 2N54xx, J110, J309/10 comes to mind. Its often claimed that only the Toshiba's are any good for audio, this is maybe a good chance to find out.

OffTopic

Tossing away Japanese audio popcorns, Papa uses IRF switching
MOSFETs, and Papa's X and XA amps give strong impact to Japanese audio critics wow

EndOffTopic

:darkside:

Thanks, Manu.

Shouldn't it be interesting to compare the JFET-BOZ with the TNT Preamble?
My understanding of FET stage gain calculation is poor, but could this circuit not changed for more gain? (The low impedance output follower seem also helpful to me).

Attachments

• preamble.gif
    preamble.gif
    39.7 KB · Views: 2,147
I would like to connect a JFET BOZ to my SEWA. A reduced output impedance would probably be beneficiant to overcome the input capacity problems of the SEWA. I talking purely hypothetical here: Maybe there is no problem at all.

Manu, can you please - this thread is already quite long - state the resistor values you are using at the moment? And what source for listening?

And: Your musical taste is highly welcomed. I usually take, among others, the Rolf Lislewand CDs (like the wonderful Santiago de Murcia CD) for first serious listening.

all the best
Klaus

JC Fardo said:
Hi Vix

Amazing your "Eau de cologne" JBOZ. Thanks for pics and comments.

Could you please detail a bit more. I though you could just connect +18V from batteries to each channel circuit, rignt?

What output pot value are you using?

Best regards.

Thanks.

1. It goes like this. +18v (battery) goes to two 220 ohm reistors. Two sides of the 220 ohm resistors are tied together at +18v. Each of two other sides of the resistors goes to + pole of the 1000uF electrolytic capacitors (two), bypassed by 100 nf ones. Then you take +18V supply from +pole of each capacitor for each channel.

BATTERY+>220ohm resistor-->+1000 uF cap--->to drain resistor (L)
+> 220ohm resistor-->+1000 uF cap--->to drain resistor(R)

I guess that this is not necessary, but doesn't harm either ;)

2. I don't use output pot. I use 22 K input pot.

Regards,

Vix

lohk said:
Manu, can you please - this thread is already quite long - state the resistor values you are using at the moment? And what source for listening?

And: Your musical taste is highly welcomed. I usually take, among others, the Rolf Lislewand CDs (like the wonderful Santiago de Murcia CD) for first serious listening.
all the best
Klaus

Hi Klaus,
As I send you a mail I don’t want to repeat here my setup, (Source is simply a Maranz Sa 7001 / Thorens Td 125), but I am wondering a little bit, though, why I am so happy with it because Steen and Vix, and they are smarter than me, have an other one and are happy with it.
I can not say anything useful to the preample. It looks nice and normal. But in my opinion , it is not such a challenge like the BOZ. I said opinion, that means I have no idea only a feeling.
I don’t want to build it because I am exclusively interested in Pass’s designs (and eventually some variations like those ominous ugly blue little boards, because they are from Zen Mod who is an ugly Ostrich that I revere). The Pass World is vast and interesting enough for me.
Before I build the preample, I would like to build the D1 f.e.g., but its too complex for me, little french monkey, and there is no thread about it like the Aleph X, Aleph P or BOZ JFET 's to help me.
I am glad to hear, concerning music, that we share the same good taste. I would, if I may, encourage you to try this flute music I have mentioned, and may be one more : Haydn Flute trio /Kuijken. This is a magic recording, believe me.
Bthisw I would like to quote this post of Zen Mod, just for the pleasure to re-read it again (I would like to have written it myself):
Zen mode: "point is- even without looking at scope or analyzer data , flute sound have enormous energy . it sounds simple,but that sound isn't simple . Dynamic is something similar to level of energy,but not same ;at least in my book "
Thats the truth nothing but it.

BTW 2 : I had yesterday night some other extraordinary listening experience with BOJZ and Olivier Messiaen' s unbelievable /Turangalila Symphony.
Manuel

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Manu said:

Bthisw I would like to quote this post of Zen Mod, just for the pleasure to re-read it again (I would like to have written it myself):
Zen mode: "point is- even without looking at scope or analyzer data , flute sound have enormous energy . it sounds simple,but that sound isn't simple . Dynamic is something similar to level of energy,but not same ;at least in my book "
Thats the truth nothing but it.

don't make me blush :devilr:

ya know that I'm not capable of that......especially when I'm right :clown:

heh
I'm really in jacco mood........

look what I have instead of little plastic bags full of cheap drek :
:Popworm:

Attachments

• img_1577.jpg
    img_1577.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 1,816
Official Court Jester