Aleph 2 heatsink thread - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th January 2003, 03:36 PM   #1
Gabster is offline Gabster  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Aleph 2 heatsink thread

Hi,

I just want to know if there would be some interest to start a group order for heatsinks for the Aleph 2. Something like they did for the Aleph X. I've nothing in mind yet but I'm sure everyone could bring ideas. Let's see if something happens...
Old 24th January 2003, 03:40 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Scribble
Quite possibly interested as im after some heatsink ideas for my aleph5 in progress. Even though i have some in mind already i wouldnt mind some more ideas

Joel
Old 24th January 2003, 06:10 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Heatsinks are unlikely to apply only to the one amp or another. Most of the amps we are considering use several sections, and the Aleph-X is (I think) about the same in efficiency as an Aleph 2, so 100 W amps of either design would dissipate about 300W.

Before the other group-buy got underway, I suggested in the thread to consider heatsinks by M&M. I spoke to them about a quote, before some of the other guys said (and I paraphrase here): "We don't want no stinkin' second-rate heatsinks!"

So I got the quote, but just sat on it. Thought about getting the info out once the others shipped from R-Theta, but given some hassles that they all went through (additional handling charges, some quality issues, etc.) and that I'm really ok on sinks personally right now, I've done nothing with it.

If anyone is interested in managing this, let me know, and I will be willing to turn the quote over to you to let you run with it, as long as you are more-or-less in agreement with the terms I discussed with M&M (and willing to consider stinkin' second-rate heatsinks )
Old 24th January 2003, 06:48 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Scribble
Quite possibly interested as im after some heatsink ideas for my aleph5 in progress. Even though i have some in mind already i wouldnt mind some more ideas

Joel
Joel,

I am building a pair of Aleph 5 monoblocks and am using Conrad Engineering's 350mm flat back heat sinks. Since you are in Australia, you might want to check them out first. Dealing with Julian Wales was a pleasant experience and the heatsinks look great. You can contact him at conrad.aus@bigpond.com.
Old 24th January 2003, 10:02 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Don't know who coined the phrase "Stinkin Second Rate Heatsinks" on this site, but who ever did doesn't knowwhat he is talking about and comes across to me as being very beligerent. The heatsinks that I purchased from them over the years, and the latest batch were flawless, no scratches, dings or anything. Each sink was individually wrapped...in acid free paper no less, so that nothing contaminated the alumnium before anodizing in case thats where they went first.

I can highly reccommend M&M for any heatsinks, especially for anything one might build on these threads.....Never a problem, always on time, lower cost, and as high of quality, or perhaps better than R- Theta, Wakefield, or any other really good heatsink manufacturer puts out. They also have reasonably priced water cooling plates as well.......

What to reccommend.....I personally reccommend that anything you build thats Class A be over heatsinked!! I some times think that many amps I see built here are barely sinked enough. So something thats past what your calculations require would in my opion be best. My sinks are probably double in sq inches to what the factory Aleph 2's have...as a result my amps only run just hot to the touch...even with the drop set at .55 volts. Ya can't fry eggs on mine!

I'd be happy to consider handling this heatsink deal and will think about it over the next day or so and get back to you all. I would only be willing to deal with US based requests though, unless M&M would take care of the international shipping end of things as I don't have alot of time to stand in line at the Post Office to ship via priority......
Mark
P.S. No I don't work for M&M, nor do I know anyone that does.
Old 24th January 2003, 10:14 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark A. Gulbrandsen
Don't know who coined the phrase "Stinkin Second Rate Heatsinks"...
I did. I was joking about Grataku's reaction to my suggestion that we consider heatsinks from M&M. I've got nothing against them.
Old 25th January 2003, 05:16 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Casted heatsinks

Aleph 4
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aleph 4 heatsinkedit2.jpg (81.6 KB, 737 views)
Old 25th January 2003, 06:36 AM   #8
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

Tony,

I think you should plan a vacation up through California from LA to San Francisco. You could deliver the castings as you go!
That way you would have a place to stay every night!!

In that other thread you said they cost $85. Is that per amp or per piece? They are very attractive, and different besides.
About what is the size of one?
Old 25th January 2003, 07:43 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Mark,

I'm about to receive 4 more pieces of this heatsinks, they were ordered for a future AX but have no intention of building them soon.

As said on the other thread, these are custom made to my design and can be built to most any (amp) size.

The ones shown on the pic are 22x10" and weigh around 16 lb each.

Up to this point they they seem an overkill for the A4, so I think will suit quite well for the A2 monos. Another member requested 6 of these for his proyects.

Yes, they cost $85 per piece including milling but no holes and the ones to be received will have shot blasted fins for a nicer look and finish.
Old 25th January 2003, 07:49 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Mark, I'm planning those vacations!!!

Hide this!Advertise here!