Aleph 2 heatsink thread - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th January 2003, 02:11 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Tony,
The sinks look nice, but can you find out what Alloy these are made of? Am curious, as I'd want to know how well they would anodize before I bought any. Different alloys come out looking different in the same given anodize bath!!
Mark
Old 25th January 2003, 02:16 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Forgot to ask...could those be cast out of copper???
Mark
Old 25th January 2003, 05:20 PM   #13
Gabster is offline Gabster  Canada
diyAudio Member

Ok, I've requested a quote from MM metals for extrusion#13633. The price for my small order (about 5') is US$6.3 per inch (about US$350 of heatsinks to build my two alephs). I can't afford this. I don't know what kind a discount a group buy could bring, but I'm a little bit discouraged . I don't really want to pay more than US$100-150 for heatsinks but I understand that custom made has its price.

Anyway, is there anyone interested in that extrusion? This is the perfect application for my design but I'm affraid it will be hard to have enough people loving it.

Just posting what I've got, if there's any interest, please manifest. I'm open to other similar ext#.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mm13633.jpg (72.6 KB, 583 views)
Old 25th January 2003, 05:25 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

One more thing, as soon as I have a few minutes, I'll sketch, scan and post my casing design...maybe there will be people directly interest by it.
Old 25th January 2003, 05:58 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

The MM5061-6 sinks ran me 22.00 each from M&M........That translates to $3.66 per inch. I used 6 of these per amp with two devices per sink. If you figure it out, this is way overkill and I probably could have gotten away with 4 of these per amp. However, this does allow me overbias if I want to. Right now with .55 volts across the resistors it is no where near as hot as many other 2's that people on these threads have built....definately now where near hot enough to fry eggs!! I prefer hand wireing and these worked out very well for my application. There is a bit more metal work to put the chassis together though........
I like the look high power industrial look these sinks have....alot different than the typical flat back heatsinks that everyone else here has been using.
Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ampsjpg.jpg (70.1 KB, 566 views)
Old 25th January 2003, 08:15 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Default Copper Heatsinks

Mark,

I guess these could be cast on copper. Of course, on copper you would need quite a smaller part for the task. For casting it may well be a copper alloy I don't think a 100% Cu would be good for this proccess, but will ask the supplier.

The alloy used is alu 356, and since the finish is rather rough I don't think anodizing should be considered, there are other protection systems that could be contemplated.

One of the advantage of using something similar to what I used is that the heatsink is also a structural part of the case, this makes building the box quite easy, I used only 8 1/2" screws.
Old 25th January 2003, 08:41 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Hi Tony,
Thaks for the info!! I like the idea of cast copper for these, and copper can blackened really easily. For that matter anodizing your existing alumnium heatsinks is also not a problem as they will come out a nice black finish with that alloy. Hardcoating the rough finish mght be a tad tricky though! Ya have to be careful anodizing differetn alloys as some alloys don't come out black, but rather plum, or sometimes even brown in color. The copper idea really intregues me alot and I'd appreciate it if you would be willing to check for me as to how much it would cost. I would keep them the same size as you are making them from alumnium. Nothing wrong with too much heatsinking in my mind. Gee, with them made from copper I could even go for the maritime finish and leave them outside till they turn blue. Or perhaps build the Aleph Maritime Special Edition!!
Mark
Old 26th January 2003, 06:46 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Well here it is. Sorry for the crapy scan (actually a digital photograph). The dimensions are roughly 19"Wx6"Hx14"D. I want a traditional case that's why I've placed the two heatsinks on top (nice cover!). Furthermore, placing them this way should achieve a better heat dissipation. Note there's more fins on the heatsinks than shown. The m&m extrusion have a nice flange on one side that will match the glass window...a nice addition that will reveal the guts of the beast
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aleph2.jpg (92.8 KB, 449 views)
Old 27th January 2003, 03:42 AM   #19
Coulomb is offline Coulomb  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gabster
Well here it is. Sorry for the crapy scan (actually a digital photograph). The dimensions are roughly 19"Wx6"Hx14"D. I want a traditional case that's why I've placed the two heatsinks on top (nice cover!). Furthermore, placing them this way should achieve a better heat dissipation. Note there's more fins on the heatsinks than shown. The m&m extrusion have a nice flange on one side that will match the glass window...a nice addition that will reveal the guts of the beast
Actually your heat dissapation will be worse. I looked into this myself and discovered that due to the loss of the chimney effect the heat was slower to escape into the atmosphere.

Anthony
Old 27th January 2003, 03:55 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Wow, that was unexpected! What if the bottom of the amp is ventilated as well as the heatsinks (holes)? Will it be that bad?

Hide this!Advertise here!