One or 2 PSU´s for Mini-A?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Assuming that you're talking about building a stock Mini-A, the power supply requirements are pretty modest--something around +-15V and 1A per channel. It's not that hard to pull together a power supply that will do two channels. However, if you want to do monoblock I'm all in favor of the idea.

Grey

Yeah, it's cool. One of many options would be:
Transformer->bridge->cap->resistors (split with smallish resistors from this cap--one for each channel)-caps (one bank for each channel
Or you could use inductors. Or you could use a combination of various things.
But, yes, a 300VA transformer will be marvelous for two channels of Mini-A.

Grey

I built a pair of Mini As both ways. Funny thing is the design is so solid changing caps power supplies and other external things made a minimal change in sound . Driving the mosfets harder with more bias seemed to be the only thing that made any significant change. It falls back to provide more than adequate heat-sinking and enough voltage swing and let the fun begin.

Bill

Been thinking about going regulated anyway..but,will a capacistans multiplier do a bout the same thing?

I had a capacitance multiplier built up for my mini-A. It showed almost no ripple on the scope, but there were nasty little spikes where the ripple was regulated from positive going to negative going. In the end, I figured a C-L-C ps would be better. Unfortunately, I don't have any measurements or even listening comparisons to back up my intuition.

Would be great to know if anyone else has experience with both who could shed some light on this.

Would those nasty little spikes I saw get through as noise?
Is that typical of a cap. mult. PS?

JJ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.