inductors for Aleph X PSU

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Geeh@,

how hard can it be to recognise a toroidal choke.
Goodmorning campers@2 => DingDong

Some really cool chokes can be wrenched out of worndown big bucks gear, such as this 8mH fat boy with 3.5mm diameter enamelled copper winding.
Buy it if you can't wrench it out, borrow or steal it. :clown:

@ Elso Duck trademark.
@2 Hi-de-Hi trademark

(lick them yourself)

Attachments

• zztop-choky.jpg
    zztop-choky.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 527
how bout these puppies

I got 8 of these and Im not sure how suilatble they will be in a CLCLC aleph-x psu. I think the resistance is around 0.1 ohm or so and imagine the inductance to be 0.5 mH if Im lucky. My biggest concern is will they saturate at 6 amps bias? How can I know or work it out?

Attachments

• p1060071.jpg
    p1060071.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 354
Measure?

You could connect all 8 in series and measure R.
By size and 2mm wire I guess something like .3 to .5 ohms per
inductor.
Let's say .5 ohms worstcase.

Then if your Aleph-X draws something like 7 amps
the math is easy.
i.e. P=I.I.R so P=7.7.05 = 24.5W all the time each inductor.
That's a little to much for something like that.

Moral of story, try to measure first, test apply second, then
decide if they are usefull.

I hope this helps a little

thanks thats very helpful guys, I never thought of tieing them all together to get the total resistance And then work out power disspated.
I cant see an airgap so I would have to say no, I expect anything over 10 watts would be too much for them.
If I try them and the power supply works, how do I know they are acting as inductors and not fancy resistors, cos I would rather just use resistors than these things if they arent doing anything?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.