Pass Labs XA100: I found a pair but I have a doubt - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st May 2007, 11:44 PM   #1
LucaF is offline LucaF  Italy
diyAudio Member

Default Pass Labs XA100: I found a pair but I have a doubt

Hi everybody.

For months I was looking for a second-hand pair of XA100 amp (see also my previous thread). This week I finally found a good opportunity in Europe, where I live.
I only have a doubt because I’ve read that the XA series works properly with loudspeakers impedance not too low..
Because I cannot test the amp with my loudspeakers (before buying them) I was wondering if anyone can help me telling if the XA-100 could have any problem in properly driving a pair of “Sonus Faber Cremona” that have a 4ohms nominal impedance, with a minimum 2,8 and a combination of 4,5 ohms and a -53 degrees electrical phase angle at 73Hz.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.
http://www.easynetserver.it/easynet/..._Impedence.jpg

Sonus Faber Cremona :
http://www.sonusfaber.it/pdf/C.pdf

I understand that this is a difficult question and the best would be an accurate test, but this is not possible for me and I am looking for some help..

- My room is : 14ft x 21ft .The room acoustic is treated with DAAD
http://www.acusticaapplicata.com/english/prodotti.html
- Music I listen to : as an example yesterday night I listened to “Eric Clapton–Unplugged CD ” then a CD of Sonny Rollyns “Saxophone Colossus”
- How loud I play : Normal+ level mainly, louder with classical music when orchestra or organ are playing.
- Amp I use now : I am using 2 channels of a Pass Labs X5. What I do not like very much now is control with drums and when I listen orchestra ad louder volumes

Thanks for all comments.

Luca
Old 21st May 2007, 11:47 PM   #2
The one and only

I don't think the XA100 is your best bet, although it will work
into 4 ohms. An XA100.5 will do the job, as will the more
prosaic X series.

Old 22nd May 2007, 03:32 PM   #3
LucaF is offline LucaF  Italy
diyAudio Member

Thank you Mr. Pass.

Ehhh….. I know the new XA100.5 , but…
Ok, I’ll start a new search for a second hand pair of X600, or the last X600.5 (which are difficult to find at an affordable price), or the good X350.5 (although I like mono and I have space for them in my home).
I’m sorry if in this forum I cannot share my knowledge in DIYAudio amps, but in case I’ll be more than happy to share a DIY bottle of home made red wine. My family owns a small vineyard in the Friuli region (located in the “far north east” of Italy), one of the best areas for Italian wines.

Have a good day!

Luca

Hide this!Advertise here!