PI-filter (or CLC vs CRC vs C) - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd May 2007, 02:27 PM   #61
diyAudio Member

thanks jacco, i appreciate your advice and opinion.
I personally did read a lot on these past months and i got some handle on the different simulators that i still think be helpfull on building a project.
I got handle on PCB desing and eatching and on some insight on amp design.
I did read Self's book, books on valves which they were really helpfull to understand some concepts.
I'm very glad to be part of this forum and receive usefull advice, they really help.

If you have any suggestion on things that i should learn and study first, i will gladly accept it.

I do recognize the need to learn much more before to be able to post like you and other guys on the forum here do.

Just take in consideration that i'm not completely blank on electronic though , i'm an engineer and i have studied electronic on different course....so i know resistors - capacitor - inductor ...

I look forward ...
Old 22nd May 2007, 02:36 PM   #62
Formerly "jh6you". R.I.P.

Youre cruel . . . man (Jacco)
Old 22nd May 2007, 02:42 PM   #63
Formerly "jh6you". R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by Stefanoo

so i know resistors - capacitor - inductor ...

Mmmm . . .

You're more advanced than me.
I'm still reading Physics book to know them.
Of course, I'm a structural strength engineer.

Old 22nd May 2007, 03:17 PM   #64
diyAudio Member

Quote:
[i]

Mmmm . . .

You're more advanced than me.

[/B]

You guys have no end...
Old 4th April 2013, 01:00 PM   #65
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloth Ears View Post
Thanks for your replies everyone. Especially Grey, very clear and erudite. I'll take your advice "Quit griping and build something. You can always add an L or an R later if you think you need it." when the bits arrive. You guys are blessed over there, big heatsinks are rare as hen's teeth over here.
Aw come on! You're in Conrad land - I ordered my MF35-115.5 heatsinks from Australia, as it was cheaper even with the shipping! You are in the HOME of excellent Class A heat sinks!
Old 5th April 2013, 03:15 AM   #66
zany is offline zany  Australia
diyAudio Member

Thanks for bumping this old thread Lucas, some informative and funny reading...
Old 6th April 2013, 06:29 AM   #67
diyAudio Member

Not building again without CLC! Sure miss Grey...
Old 10th October 2013, 11:18 PM   #68
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson Pass View Post
Either a CLC or CRC is still a lot better than C. As an example,
I have here a supply with 30,000 uF after the rectifier, then
.12 ohms, then another 30,000 uF. The difference on either side
of the resistor is about 10 dB worth of ripple, and that's a lot.

Hello i have a question:

I want to build a aleph 60 clone and i think about the psu.

is it really such a big differnce to go CRC because i have not much space in my chassis an would go for only C ( like in SM).
But if it is really a big benefit to go for CRC is must look how to get the R`s into my chassis. (i have really limited space).
In the service manual it looks like there is only a C bank of 12x 10000F per channel

And i also think about to use 12x 22000F Caps is it a good idea? or would 12x 10000F be enough for 1 Channel aleph 60? this is also really interessting because 10000F caps are not so big as 22000F

If somebody can help ...

Thanks a lot
Old 11th October 2013, 12:12 AM   #69
diyAudio Member

Leave yourself the option to add more caps later if you don't want the expense up front. Plan to eventually stuff it FULL of caps, and then measure the PS ripple (mVAC) and listen for yourself for the difference between CC, CRC, and CLC. I aim for under 2mV ripple, but you will trade more ripple for more bias. Measure and listen for yourself. Even if you can't hear the difference today, you will certainly be able to measure it.
Use a thermistor for inrush protection.
Old 11th October 2013, 06:43 AM   #70
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Mouse View Post
Hello i have a question:

I want to build a aleph 60 clone and i think about the psu.

is it really such a big differnce to go CRC because i have not much space in my chassis an would go for only C ( like in SM).
But if it is really a big benefit to go for CRC is must look how to get the R`s into my chassis. (i have really limited space).
In the service manual it looks like there is only a C bank of 12x 10000F per channel

And i also think about to use 12x 22000F Caps is it a good idea? or would 12x 10000F be enough for 1 Channel aleph 60? this is also really interessting because 10000F caps are not so big as 22000F

If somebody can help ...

Thanks a lot
aleph 60 and very limited space do not mix. unless it's forced cooling. if you dont have room for a couple of bundles with 3-5W resistors in your chassis, the chances are you realy don't have enough heatsinking.

Last edited by AudioSan; 11th October 2013 at 06:47 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!