PI-filter (or CLC vs CRC vs C) - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th May 2007, 10:01 PM   #21
Magura is offline Magura  Denmark
diyAudio Member

You can ditch the zeners and just accept that you have no voltage ref., or go down the LED ref. path.

But really for a pre-amp, there is little to gain by going much further than a run of the mill regulator like the one seen in the BOZ article. I have added a CLC to the one I have in my test setup....I found no benefit (but also no drawback besides the price of the inductor).

Magura
Old 17th May 2007, 10:18 PM   #22
steenoe is offline steenoe  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Stefanoo
how can i match a big CLC with a regulated pwer supply without using zeners? ... mmm... i will read very carefully that pdf attached...seems very interesting.
Now it's just too late.....
That is not the obvious way to do it! If you want to make a CLC supply, you simply choose a trafo that fits! The option to do both a CLC and a reg. supply will be like shooting a goose after its dead allready
A CLC supply is very fast and responsive and the sound is just about the best that can be had!! If you dont like the big coils for whatever reason, make a regulated supply as suggested in my earlier reply. Strictly speaking from practical experience!!

Steen
Old 17th May 2007, 10:30 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by steenoe

A CLC supply is very fast and responsive and the sound is just about the best that can be had!!

Steen

Ditto
Old 17th May 2007, 10:44 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Magura
The "roll your own" solution is not that much trouble, and hands you a very flexible solution for future projects as well.
Magura,

I'm not fussed with rolling them, it's just that finding the right wire (50m of 14 gauge) is posing a bit of a problem via the internet (and it's been raining here for a week). When it clears up I'll have to do some looking myself...

Quote:
Originally posted by steenoe
A very good example is to be found here: http://www.passdiy.com/pdf/zen-ver3.pdf Do mind, though that if you make a dual-rail from that PDF, the lower fet must be turned a 180 degrees!!
Steenoe,

I've been looking at the power supply in http://www.passdiy.com/pdf/zen-v5-hires.pdf, and it seems to be the same as the bipolar regulator in the pdf you mentioned (but with a CLC ). Which picture were you referring to, if I might ask?
Old 17th May 2007, 10:54 PM   #25
Magura is offline Magura  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloth Ears

Magura,

I'm not fussed with rolling them, it's just that finding the right wire (50m of 14 gauge) is posing a bit of a problem via the internet (and it's been raining here for a week). When it clears up I'll have to do some looking myself...

Hmm, may I suggest the cheap, easy and quick solution?

Simply buy a roll og 14avg and be done with it for any foreseable future ? I'm quite sure it's cheaper than any of the other solutions, and you will have enough for making a few experiments.

Magura
Old 17th May 2007, 11:20 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

I swear you guys could make breathing difficult if you put your minds to it.

Grey

Hint: If it's inductance you want, buy a spool of wire. Hook up one end. Hook up the other end (it's tucked through a hole into the center of the spool). Poof! You're done.
Old 18th May 2007, 12:45 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GRollins
I swear you guys could make breathing difficult if you put your minds to it.
But I've never breathed before (and some guy keeps turning me upside down and Click the image to open in full size. hitting me)!

I'm not trying to be difficult, but any solution (spools of wire, rolls of 14awg, 4 inductors off the rack) adds up to over $200 down here in Australia. My apologies if not being a spendthrift (OK, being cheap) offends...Click the image to open in full size..
Old 18th May 2007, 08:01 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

i would like to have guys your opinion on this power supply design.

It's for the Aleph P1.7.
Since the preamplifier absorbes a constant current (correct me if i'm wrong) of about 69mA, i place the constant current source as load.
If i'm mistaken, plese correct me.

Here's the schematic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg power supply.jpg (29.9 KB, 1000 views)
Old 18th May 2007, 08:06 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

here a screenshoot of the regulation capability of this circuit.
I simulated it with a good resolution (5usec as maximum step size).

The rail voltage for the P1.7 is supposed to be 60V.
As you can see with this specific it's 63V.
This is because i picked out the Plitron transformer attached on the link

http://www.plitron.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=170

I would you use two of them for the two channels. (i still have to figure out a way to get them without paying this high shipping expences).

Here's the simulation screenshoot
Attached Images
File Type: jpg regulation.jpg (64.8 KB, 906 views)
Old 18th May 2007, 08:20 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

this is a zoom of the initial part.
There is a negative peak.
Could it contituite a problem? how is it possible to eliminate, in case?

Here's the screenshoot.

Thanks in advance for your kind advice guys.

Best.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg undershooting.jpg (78.2 KB, 742 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!