upgrading PASS D1 Dac to 24/96

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i forget to mention that the upgrade will be for the original D1 dac not a diy copy..
i have only some minor mods , replace the internal volume cable, input transformer, al caps with cerafine etc.. but i wonder if a solution exist to put it in a 24/96 model because the original only accept 24/48khz ...

thanks..

You might try srarching the pass forum and the digital forum. I remember reading threads discussing what is actually upgraded. If memory is correct, it's just the CS8414 chip that changed. Definitely search both forums, the answer is out there.

The DiyAudio search feature is a little lame. If you're not having any luck try google's site specific feature:

"D1 upgrade" site:www.diyaudio.com

-David

Thanks for your help , in my dac the digital receiver is the CS8412
i doubt i can swapp it dirrectly with a CS8414? if yes it will be great...

i search more information about this upgrade .. if someone has a pictures or schema of the 24/96 input board it can help me..

thanks...

thanks for this precious help , i have just ordered a CS8414 because it is
compatible pin for pin with the CS8412

and i have seen there is a jumper to move on the digital board of the D1
to get the 24/96 ..

i will try this when i will receive the chips ..

Regards..

rohan.

:dead: i think i'm was happy to soon.. i have found some posts about the D1 dac
and t it seems the Fujitsu PLL in the D1 is don't work with 24/96khz signal ..

so i'm lost again .. can i use an external master clock to feed the DIGITAL FILTER (NPC SM5842 ) and at what frequencys ?

thanks for your help..:smash:

24/96 upgrade

:whazzat: hi Folks , i have just received the CRYSTAL 8414 and swapp it on the
receiver board of the D1 , put the straps in the 96khz position and
......... it doesn't work:bawling:

if someone know something i do wrong please let me know..
anyway with the new chip the dac worked in 44khz strap position..

Thanks..

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
Juanitox,

Sorry to dig up this ancient post - I'm currently working on a D1 clone and have been trying to work out what is involved in upgrading the receiver board to 24/96khz spec as part of a longer term goal of making the pcb upgradable. So perhaps I can shed some light on your problem??

The Fujitsu VCXO runs at a base frequency of 22.5792 (512fs) and has three selectable frequency ranges. In the 44.1 position the VCXO output is divided by two to give 32/44.1/48khz ranges. With "96" selected the raw VCXO output is used to clock the DF - and the three frequency ranges correspond to 64/88.1/96khz. So the Fujitsu VCXO is quite capable of working with 24/96 audio.

There are a couple of "mystery" connections shown on the Rev. 1 front panel schematic. I believe these may be used to control some kind of "switching board" plugged onto the 44.1/96 "jumper" in the 24/96 upgrade. The front panel micro already handles detection of the MCK frequency, and configuration of the VCXO and DF based on the detected frequency, so I'm assuming the switching functionality required for 96khz operation is there.

There are two remaining obstacles to getting 96khz operation working: 1) Scientific Conversion state that the SC944-05 spdif transformers are designed for sample rates of 32-48khz, and recommend their smd trafos as suitable for 96khz playback ; 2) SM5842 is only capable of handling 48khz data, so an upgrade to the SM5847 is required.

So upgrading the CS8412 is only a small part of what is required, but the mods are quite feasible.

And once that is done the PCM63P-K's are still limited to 20bit input, and were replaced by piggybacked PCM1704's in the factory upgrade.

cheers
Paul

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.