Help needed for finding Aleph parts!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone out there :)

I'm another newbie DIYer planning to build the legendary Aleph 2 by master Nelson. :D

Currently i'm looking for cheap PCB manufacturer that can produce small quantity (just few :blush: ) preferably in Asia. (I'm located in Singapore)

I'll need to get some good toroidal transformers and BIG BIG capacitors for my PS too. I know there are some good manufacturers in The States & Europe but shipping to Singapore cost a BOMB! :bigeyes:

BIG BIG heatsinks are needed too. ;)

Can some good souls out there tell me where can I get high tolerance components in Singapore or from anywhere else that provide cheap shipping to Singapore with small quantity ordered.

Lastly, I'm in the process of designing my 1st Aleph 2 inspired by master Nelson & of cos diyaudio.com. :yes: Once done I'll post it here for you guys to coment. :)

Currently I'm still calculating my budget for this project.
So thanks everyone in advance for the help and to master Nelson for his wonderful schematic!

Well, do you want to know what i have spent so far. Im building my own amps.

Ok here it goes.

caps are 36k @ 75V x 12 is $260.00
Transformers Toroidal 2 x 1 kva 30 - 0 - 30 $300.00( thanks to Peter Daniel.)

Heat sinks. $120.00
Aluminum 100.00 fro rails and front face plates.
Binding postes $18.00 each x 4
Wire is about $50.00.
Rca conectos are $3.00 Each. x 2
Boards are $60.00 for both amps.
Power cables are about $22.00 each
Well i cant say how much my time is worth.
Fets are about $2.25 Each. x 12 per block. i had to order more than 24 because of fet matching. so you basicaly doubbble that so about 50 pc's

Total, So far.

Canadian.

$1175.50

Opps for got to say about my mod's that im doing. Since im not using bridge rectifiers. im usin rectifier Boards provided from people on this form. i will be using Fred's I have been told that these fred's are quieter. And more reliable. Peter Daniel uses these all the time now. I would reccon them to any one that is starting a aleph 2 project.

JasonL

So did Peter help you get your trans? Can he help me get mine too?

I think Dale Herman (harvardian) still have those matched FETs. Wonder can he spare some Q-paks for me...:rolleyes:

I did saw some good heatsinks from Fischer Elektronik. SK-479 looks pretty cool & fits perfectly in my casing design. :cool: But where can I get it from? Any help? 150mm in length will be just nice. ;)

What about boards? Who can I look for to print my PCBs? Some cheap recommends anyone? :confused:

Hey I found something today while I was shopping for cables: some 27,000uf 63v capacitors selling cheap. But their size seems to be too small for their values! They look relatively smaller than what I've seen in most stores out there! :att'n: According to the shop, those are new "designs" which will take up lesser space... Anyone have any idea about it?

Louis

Hi There

Glad to see fellow singaporean Newbie on the forum, just like me.

I am currently building a BSOZ myself. Have not decided which Power amp to build.

For Heatsink, you can try Simlim tower #03-36

They have quite a range of heatsink. Would be cheaper than from Farnell or RS. They have a heatsink that is 260x300x80mm comb type rated at 0.22c/w costing s$160

As for transformer, the cheapest I can find is from RS. You can check the price online. Do a search.

BTW, I just matched some irf240 and 9610, if you are interested you can email me.

Cheers
Hock Hua

Hi Singaporeans!!

Have you been to the "Echo Loft" web site? It's for Singapore Audio buffs and DIYer's.

One of the guys there is almost done with an Aleph 5.

Check for big cheap caps at Sim Lim Tower. You might find heatsinks there if you are lucky. There is a shop up on the 3rd floor that has lots of used electronis.

Can get transformers from Australia cheaper than the States probably.

Hope that helps.

Russ
Tucson, AZ.

"I have been told that these fred's are quieter"
I would agree, you don't want to end up with this mess! This is one of the rails in my Aleph 2. Things are really not that bad audibly though. I have 130,000mfd per rail, and there is no audible noise in my Dyanudios with your ear right up to them. The photo is at 50mv per div scale and 350mhz bandwidth!! It can be better though and I'm awaiting arrival of my HexFreds and inductors!!!
Mark

Attachments

• noisejpg.jpg
    noisejpg.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 377
Hock Hua,
thanks for the recommendation :cool:
i'll go down to simlim maybe this weekends.
i plan to get two 1kva shielded toroids with 2x37v secondaries (any brand) but still with no luck...:scratch:
you are saying that you matched those FETs. where you got them from? i'm very interested in getting some matched ones ;)
btw how do they matched? how long you took for each FET?
you can e-mail me at:

louischia@email.com

Russ,
do you have any links to "Echo Loft" or any transformer manufacturers in Australia?
that will help alot! :rolleyes:

Apex Lee,
thanks for the link but i don't quite understand chinese... :confused: but ofcos i speak mandrain well :nod:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.