diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Pass Labs (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/)
-   -   No more International Recitifier (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/100015-no-more-international-recitifier.html)

MEGA_amp 13th April 2007 10:33 PM

No more International Recitifier

Since IR has been bought out by Vishay, its a little tougher to come by IR parts. Fairchild's crossover for the IRFP240 is FQA19N20C which seems to look better as far as datasheets go. I seem to remember Nelson saying he prefers Fairchild over IR. What do you think?

and the complement for the F4 builders.
FQA12P20
FQAF12P20

FQA12P20
FQA19N20C

jackinnj 13th April 2007 10:44 PM

Re: No more International Recitifier

Quote:

Originally posted by MEGA-amp
Since IR has been bought out by Vishay, its a little tougher to come by IR parts.

Maybe you could 'splain that to us -- there are thousands of IRF devices available at Digikey, Allied, Newark, Future etc. -- there is a changeover going on (just as at On Semi) with lead free devices supplanting their parents so the devices will have the suffix "PBF".

JensRasmussen 13th April 2007 10:46 PM

Hello,

AFAIK they "only" sold some of the power semi section.

\Jens

MEGA_amp 13th April 2007 11:04 PM

News

IR allowed you to purchase directly from them, allowing a higher certainty that your getting Fets from the same lot. It doesnt seem like Vishay will be doing this.

example

Vishay's site (bottom right)

rcavictim 13th April 2007 11:13 PM

Re: Re: No more International Recitifier

Quote:

Originally posted by jackinnj

Maybe you could 'splain that to us -- there are thousands of IRF devices available at Digikey, Allied, Newark, Future etc. -- there is a changeover going on (just as at On Semi) with lead free devices supplanting their parents so the devices will have the suffix "PBF".

Oh yes the poor quality joint and tin whisker, short circuit encouraging leading to throw away electronics and buy new every year when stuff dies as the internally, poorly attached Parts Break Free, PBF conspiracy.

GRollins 13th April 2007 11:59 PM

I've heard a great deal of near-hysteria over the shift to lead free parts and solder, but have seen no evidence to indicate that such an extreme viewpoint is warranted.
Everyone I have spoken to around here is terrified of lead-free solder, yet they can't give a single instance where the sky actually fell on Chicken Little's head. They all lapse into vague hand waving, "something might go wrong twenty years from now," "it's not the way my grandfather did it" noises.
Harrumph.
I'm going to reserve judgment until I see a consistent pattern of failures that can be inescapably linked to new lead free parts and/or solder. So far, the only complaint that can be substantiated is that things are more expensive. Hell, I can live with that if it keeps lead out of the aquifer around here. There was a Super Fund site less than a mile from my old house. Try it sometime...it's an uneasy feeling. I'm not anxious to leave any time bombs that my children will have to face when they get older. If paying a dollar more for solder is all it takes, then I will pay the dollar. I can afford a buck.

Grey

jackinnj 14th April 2007 12:23 AM

the U.S. D.O.D. has not sanctioned lead-free components.

MEGA_amp 14th April 2007 01:15 AM

leaded or unleaded...whatever. IRFP240 vs FQA19N20C?

GRollins 14th April 2007 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by jackinnj
the U.S. D.O.D. has not sanctioned lead-free components.
The military has done little to impress me lately. I don't intend to loose any sleep over their approval--or lack of same--of solder and parts.
I buy some MILSPEC parts, but mostly stuff that's not. The things I buy that are MILSPEC aren't chosen with that in mind--they just happen to fit my needs. I'd be buying the same parts either way.

Quote:

Originally posted by MEGA-amp
leaded or unleaded...whatever. IRFP240 vs FQA19N20C?

Actually, it's pretty much a moot point. The IRF parts are available. The Fairchild ones are not. If you want to build something, you'll have to use IRF parts for the time being.
Incidentally, given that the FQA19N20C is a relatively new part, I would not be surprised to see Fairchild come out with an updated P-ch complement.

Grey

MEGA_amp 14th April 2007 01:54 AM

N channel avail soon

P channel available

:cool: