DIYCLUB.BIZ motorized volume / selector anyone tried it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was thinking of getting DIYCLUB MV-01 motorize remote volume control
This for an integrated amp i am building for a friend
has anyone tried it? if so i have a couple of questions about it.

1: it is quite hard to see from the web site what you actually get in the kit or even if it is a kit or the boards are assembled, or just boards + remote so what do you get?

2: the pot is on the same board as the big IC (pic?) and motor. controller, how well is the pot connections isolated from the rest of the circuit on that board.

3: is it a clocked circuit or does it go to sleep when nothing is happening?

4: how good is the actual pot itself?

5: If it comes with a rotary encoder, is it panel mount, and is it beefy enough to take a fairly heavy knob.

the only reason i ask these questions is that it seems to be a very good deal for that kit or whatever it is, and i do not want to buy something that is half assed for my friends amp.

Thanks for any help or recommendations you can give.

Best Regards
N7

pic of amp box so far.

Attachments

• vented.jpg
    vented.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 446
I got one of these just for volume control so I have a lot of bits I wont even use. Even then it was still the cheapest one to get!

Anyway...

1. Complete boards with a plug-in rotary encoder and receiver, no soldering required.

2. It's a quad pot that is reasonably isolated, although I have removed it and isolated it completely using plastic gears between the motor and a brand new Alps pot attached to the chassis.

3. No idea!

4. Not bad tracking but I replaced it as above.

5. Yes and Yes

... And yes, it is an incredible deal for what you get!

I've got an MV-06, which is basically the same but with a 6 channel option. Great value, arrived in less than a week and works perfectly. I only use the pot to control optocouplers; if I was using a vol pot normally I'd just take the motor feed to a separate motorised alps blue or the like. I've not listened to the standard pot, but don't expect great things.
Power and signal grounds are separated on board by a resistor and //cap.
The remote works from wide angles:)
I had to ask for schema and intructions, but these were emailed within a day. Good service I think.

Top tip- get your order to $45 to avoid $5 surcharge. I missed this :rolleyes:

I ordered one of these but havent put it to use yet. I orginally wanted it just for the motor to motorize my own pot, but the motor isnt strong enough to turn the big shallco switch i wanted to use as a stepped pot.

The kit is great. works well, comes with everything. the hardest part for me was the lack of instructions for the rotary encoder. I took me a bit to sort out how that was wired/worked and was for.

the construction quality was fair at best and not very audiophile-ish. but for a basic remote controlled motorized volume control it is a great deal.

Change out the motor control transistor and add your own motor an pot and this would be great.

Shipping was fast and no hassles A++ communication was sketchy but that was to be expected to some degree.

Zc

OK i got it. i can figure out most of the connections but i do not want to hook up the IR reciever wrong since it might be hard to get another one.

the middle pin is ground, but which is +v and which is out? if i hook it up wrong will it blow?

also there appear to be LED outputs along the left side. do they need resistors? they are connected directly to the PIC

OK it works!
I hooked it up on the bench I was a bit confused when the pot started moving when i hit the selector, but once i hooked up the relays i see the reason for that.

It turns the source off, turns the volume down and then turns the next one on, and turns the volume back up. while this is happening the LED flashes for the new channel.

the whole sequence can be over ridden by hitting the volume control.

over all i think it is fantastic value for money. the only thing that bugs me is that the volume pot board has no mounting holes, it is supposed to be mounted by the pot threads. this is a bit of a hassle for me because it will be used with a long rod pot extender but i can work around it.

Hi,
I plan to buy this one for my amp. But before purchasing I have some questions.
- The pot is really ALPS or a Chinese one? Or what type of ALPS?
- Lostcause mentioned; Its a quad pot... Is that true?
- Does RC has an on/off function to control external devices (like amp)
- Does input selector relay card included or should I make it my by myself?
Thanks a lot for replies in advance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.