Spades V.s Bananas - what's the story?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all,

While I've been looking at various DIY speaker cable guides (especially cat5e), it came to my attention I never gave the type of speaker connection much consideration.

Personally, I've always used banana plugs (I confess, I currently use rather chaep ones); in fact, I've never looked at spades at all. It always seemed to me that mechanically bananas made a better theoretical connection and were less exposed, even if they are usually more pricey. That said, I'm still not entirely sure how spades connect.

So really - to the point of this thread: Which do you prefer? Advantages and disadvantages of either? What do you prefer? Raw cable even?

All thoughts appreciated. :)

Peter

P.S. Not sure if this is exactly the right subforum...appologies if not.

http://aussieamplifiers.com/nx150s.htm ... these new amp modules use spades for I/O, power, etc ... but not in the low level signal path. Semi perminant and rugged enough, pertty good quality = no compalints.

I have a bunch of bananas jacks that have thumb screws that spread the banana "skins", causing the banana to swell up inside the binding post = works out great, very solid contact ... from some place in Florida...

Don't forget about Neutrik designed Speakons!
very positive connection, flush mount on back of amp (although the connectors themselves are rather huge) and you need to drill a 15/16 hole or so

you can have 4 or 8 separate wires per connection depending on which speakons you use. that means you can build an amp/speakers ready to Bi/Tri amp without having to drill more holes.

I was skeptical at first but so far so good for me.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.