HiFi 2000 Audio Enclosures

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Folks:

Does anyone have any direct experience with audio chassis manufactured by an Italian company called "HiFi 2000"? The products on their website are very attractive (check them out at http://www.hifi2000.it/default.asp?id=3&mnu=3). I am especially drawn to the "Slim Line" series (with optional 10mm thick front panels -- forgive me for being seduced by the Dark Side).

If you have any personal experience with these units and can speak to their value, quality, and fit and finish, I'd be grateful.

Regards,
Scott

Hi Scott,

I've bought a couple of the 'Pesante Dissipante' cases. They are really very nicely made. The 10 mm frontplates with the handles look very sturdy. However, the bottom, top and backplates are made of thin normal coated steel. Not that those plates are very weak, but 2mm black anodized alu would have fitted the case better. Also the cheap plastic feet don't really match.
Still I like the case, and I'll probably will order one more for my Krell-KSA100 clone.

Regards,
Patrick

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Patrick:

Thanks for the response. The HiFi 2000 website indicates that the rear panel on the 'Pesante Dissipante' cases is 1mm, whereas on the 'Slim Line' the rear panels are 3mm. The extra 2mm is appealing -- everyone likes rigidity. On the other hand, the cynic in me suspects that their statement that the Slim Line case sides are "10mm wide, black oxidised sides in shaped aluminum" means that the sides are really made of a thinner (1mm?) aluminum sheet bent to a 10mm width.

An inquiry to HiFi 2000 is in order....

Before I proceed, has anyone else had any experience with their cases?

Thanks,
Scott

I haven't got any experience with the Slimline-series as such, but I have quite a few of the Galaxy-cases which I believe are similar in construction (looks that way from the website) as well as a few of the larger Pesante cases.

The side panels are a 10mm custom alu extrusion, so they are not solid, but still considerably more rigid than bent sheet metal. The rear panels on the Galaxy cases are 3mm anodized aluminium compared to 1mm (or is it 1.2mm) steel on the Pesante. Top and bottom are 1mm steel on all types. The standard Pesante chassis (haven't tried the heatsink types) are a little to wobbly for my taste, but the Galaxy-series is quite well built, well finished and good value. The only but's I can think of are A) the high shipping costs to the US which would reduce the value-for-money a little and B) the steel panels are a little difficult to machine unless you have access to proper tools. Otherwise, they are highly recommended.

/U.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Kevin:

Makes sense to me. I sent HiFi 2000 an email asking for more information on the Slim Line series before Nisbeth posted his comments (which answered my principal questions), but they haven't responded yet. That was several days ago, and I just have to accept that it's the Italian way.

I have a friend who also may be interested in a chassis or two. What is your timing on a chassis purchase -- can you afford to wait a little while if we opt for less expensive surface shipping instead of air freight?

Regards,
Scott

SRMcGee said:
I sent HiFi 2000 an email asking for more information on the Slim Line series before Nisbeth posted his comments (which answered my principal questions), but they haven't responded yet. That was several days ago, and I just have to accept that it's the Italian way.
IME their normal response time is 2-3 business days. Anything more than that adn I would try to resend the email.

/U.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Peteruk:

It's a good question -- I'm going to have to try contacting them again. HiFi2000 is either astonishingly slow in responding to customer inquiries or they've found something better to do (who am I kidding; they're in Italy. Of course they've found something better to do).

Regards,
Scott

If you are still interested I ordered mine from www.audiokit.it. They are professional and answer quickly.

The enclosures are nice and well made, nice packaging and protection... Cheap for the built quallity, and some swiss companies quoted like 4 times the price for the same thing. They thermal coefficients are quite close as well, like 1/4th overestimate only! Usually I use those factors by multiplying with 2.

The bottom is quite thin and for my JLH I added a fifth foot just to reinforce and prevent bending. On mine there was no IEC hole so I had to make my own :(

Pred

PS
Manufacturer never replied my emails as well, guess they do not speak english ;)

PPS
Hate most of the Italian companies: they always use the highest shipping rates. I once asked for some tranies and it was cheaper to ship them from the states, or drive for that matter :( (30EUR for 2 input ones that weight less then 100g each)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
pred said:
If you are still interested I ordered mine from www.audiokit.it. They are professional and answer quickly.

Unfortunately I got the "Nessun sito Web configurato per questo indirizzo" error when I went to check them out - the message translates as "no site configured for this address" which is the same as the notorious 401 error in nicer terms.

Try this one: http://www.audiokit.it/

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Peteruk:

I've purchased a number of enclosures from ATI Research, which is based in Thailand, not the US. In general, I've found the ATI Research products to be nicely designed and a good value (once the somewhat painful shipping costs are factored in). However, it helps to have a good sense of the rigidity of the various sheet metals that they use; for example, I built a two chassis Aikido preamplifier in the 700MPR enclosures (http://www.atiresearch-anodized.com/ATI-700MPR.html) and found that the 1.2mm metal used for the bottom and top to be too thin, necessitating the construction of an additional "subfloor". For what it's worth, the 1.5mm and 2mm sheet metal used in other ATI Research boxes feels far more substantial.

Also, ATI Research's shipping methods leave something to be desired; my order included 6 enclosures and they were packaged together, separated by thin styrofoam inserts in a single box. A couple of the enclosures arrived a little banged up. I didn't bother complaining and don't know how responsive they would have been.

For my latest project, I wanted something a little more upscale. I thought the HiFi 2000 Slim Line series with the 10mm front panels might do very nicely. Time will tell how their products stack up against the competition.

Regards,
Scott

Dear all,
I've just read your adventure in trying to contact hifi 2000. I know the Company quite well, and I can assure they make good products, not cheap, but good. The 10 mm front panels are really nice and very well machined.

As pointed out, they might not speak good English, thus If you wish, I can help you translating your mails to and from Italian. (not too many, anyway!)
The Pesante Dissipante series is nice, but unfotunately most of the panels (including the rear one) are made out of steel.
I suggested many time to produce some "all alu" cases, but the answer was always "too expensive, nobody will buy them!" (not true).

The good news is that now they make some 3 mm thick black anodized alu top and bottom covers for the Slim Line series, at least for the biggest size (350 mm depth). They supply those panels at extra cost: around 30 € a pair. I bought the first pair over one year ago but they never announced them!

Recently they started a new web site where you can place orders: www(dot)modushop(dot)biz There are English pages too.

Moreover, they introduced a new service: DIYers can request the front panels custom drilled and engraved at extra cost. Just send them a drawing or a suitable file to request a quote. More info and pictures on the new web site.

The bad news is that they informed their customers they are going to increase the price list starting sept. 1st 2007
It should be possible to download the new price list for comparison.

For my projects I mainly use the Galaxy and Galaxy Maggiorato enclosures and I had some special top and bottom covers custom made out of alu to replace the std steel ones. Two sizes: 230 x 280 mm and 230 x 350 mm (W x D), 1.5 mm thick, black anodized.
The thickness has been choosen to fit the std 3 mm thick front panel (only 3 mm higher than the main body). The 350 mm depth is not std with the Galaxy and Galaxy Maggiorato series, but it's possible to obtain using the side panels of the Slim Line series and they sell me the parts I need.
In order to have these custom panels made, I was forced to order a good quantity and thus I have some spare parts for sale, if you wish.
Feel free to ask some pictures if interested.

cheers
massimo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.