Digikey needing photo ID?! Safe? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th March 2007, 01:57 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Digikey needing photo ID?! Safe?

I tried ordering some stuff from Digikey. I filled in all my credit card details and address and all that. I finished the process and it all seemed fine. Then after some time I got an email from them saying they needed me to send them a copy of some photo ID, such as photo driving license or passport. They said they needed it for their accounts. That sounded really weird to me. I have never needed to email or fax photo ID before for using a credit card. I would like to know if anyone else has used Digikey and whether you had to do the same. I need the parts but I am suspicious.
Thank you!
Justin
Old 16th March 2007, 02:03 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Everyone is paranoid about the U.S. Treasury's enforcement efforts against money-laundering (AML). Two years ago I wrote an offering memorandum for a deal -- everything went fine until we had to contend with the outside lawyers and the AML language -- it's amazing that anything gets done in the U.S. We have about 10x as many lawyers as doctors here.
Old 16th March 2007, 02:15 PM   #3
sam9 is offline sam9  United States
diyAudio Member

Digikey pretty large organization. I buy items for personal use. My employer buy literally $millions per year from them. I've never had a hint of anything shady.

Apart from money laundering concerns, the photo ID requirement may may have something to do export controls. Some Digikey items are on list of materials classified as "munitions". Nearly anything with programmable logic or that may e associated with GPS could be on the list.

"Microwaves are mightier than the sword."
Old 16th March 2007, 02:23 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sam9
..... Some Digikey items are on list of materials classified as "munitions". Nearly anything with programmable logic or that may e associated with GPS could be on the list........
I bought a Dell computer here in the UK, a few years ago, and had to sign several documents to say that I would not use the computer for terrorist activities.
It's good to know that America is so secure!

Martin.
Old 21st March 2007, 11:34 PM   #5
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

First time doing business with Digikey after 9/11 I actually received a phone call about my order and had to fax a copy of my drivers license to them..

Hide this!Advertise here!