Power Conditioner Cable?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm sure some of you have read the article over at 10-audio, but for those that haven't here is the link: http://www.10audio.com/diy_power_conditioner.htm

They took apart a Shunyata Hydra 4 power conditioner and found out what (little) is really going on inside this $1000 unit. Turns out it's basically just a couple caps and a varistor. They created a DIY version for roughly $100.

My question is #1, does this unit have any positive effect on a power source for an audio device? Question #2: in theory, could a power cable be constructed with the cap and varistor contained in a small in-line circuit box, effectively accomplishing the same task as the full-size conditioner?

Finally, does anyone have a good website I can read for more information on power conditioning and filtering? I did a quick google search with not much luck.

Evan Robinson said:
I'm sure some of you have read the article over at 10-audio, but for those that haven't here is the link: http://www.10audio.com/diy_power_conditioner.htm

They took apart a Shunyata Hydra 4 power conditioner and found out what (little) is really going on inside this $1000 unit. Turns out it's basically just a couple caps and a varistor. They created a DIY version for roughly $100.

Basically a mains filter which you can buy off-the-shelf for far less than $ 100.

My question is #1, does this unit have any positive effect on a power source for an audio device? Question #2: in theory, could a power cable be constructed with the cap and varistor contained in a small in-line circuit box, effectively accomplishing the same task as the full-size conditioner?

#1: theoretically, if the mains is polluted, yes. I've been using one for years, just in case, but never hear any real difference, though (it's more a "peace of mind" thing for me).
#2: in a way the off-the-shelf filter I mentioned is just this (or you can buy one integrated in the mains entrance).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.