Repair vacuum tubes?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have two ancient GE-KR9 and two GE-KR9A Kenotron rectifiers. I got them to use for my [censored by diyaudio policy on HV stuff], but I now noticed one of the tubes has a crack in the ribbed section. I put cyanoacrylate glue on it but I'm guessing vacuum has already been lost.

My question is twofold--can I on a mere propane torch flame fix the crack, and can I reestablish sufficient vacuum from a water aspirator (I can run ice water through it with a pump and the cold water has pretty low vapor pressure)? Also, about dropping in some getter material?

Alternatively, I'll trade these tubes for a solid state bridge or discrete rectifiers that can rectify 130 kV RMS AC at 25 mA DC.

Hi

You can normally melt glass with a propane flame, but you've to be sure there is already the atmospheric pressure inside, otherwise it will form a bubble that will blow inside.
Restoring the vacuum is much more difficult: most tubes require a hard vacuum, that can only be attained by diffusion or turbomolecular pumps.
LV

If you've got a crack, the getter is gone. The getter does not have the capacity to convert a poor vacuum to a hard one, it is useful for taking an already good vacuum into a superb one. At minimum, you'd have to evacuate to a micron or so using a rough pump/diffusion pump combo, use glass-blowing methods to seal up the tube, then flash the getter (already been done when the tube was first made, so you're SOL).

Cyanoacrylate will pass air like a colander passes water.

I can do resealing since the nipple is quite large, and I can easily stretch it out even more. But looks like I can't reach sufficient vacuum.

Finding solid state rectifiers that can meet my requirement is proving difficult. I see very cheap 20 kV 10 mA diodes on eBay, but I'd need a 100 in parallel/series to make a bridge with sufficient overhead in current and voltage... Higher voltage and current ones are very expensive. It's cheaper for me to wind a filament transformer for these old tubes than to buy the expensive solid state rectifiers, and is why I'm so interested in fixing there.

Anyone know if there's a place that can fix tubes, i.e. can do sufficient vacuum and maybe replace the getter? I can get the glass repaired no problem by a retired scientific glassblower I know for next to nothing, but he doesn't have vacuum.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Explain, SY, why not just putting in more getter wouldn't work? How much gas exactly can a given amount of getter absorb? It seems to me that you figure out how much the amount of gas left in the tube is with the partial vacuum, and then put enough getter to absorb it all. What am I missing?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.