Musical Fidelity X-Pre Fiddlings

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello there everyone. :)

Wasn't quite sure where to put this - Tubes? Solid state? Parts? It's a hybrid indeed.

I have a Mk. 1 Musical Fidelity X-Pre in the following configuration:

SPDIF (PC) -> Beresford TC-7510 -> MF X-Pre -> Arcam Alpha 8P -> HD595

Now, I know this set up is not absolutely perfect but I'm fond of it, and it was the setup that fate decided for me. :) The Arcam certainly has enough oompf to power headphones. At line level, I think it'd pop 'em, hence the X-Pre. Though I'm sure it's not perfect either, I'd like to assume for the moment that it's neutral. All in good time. :)

The very first thing I did was to order some of the very fashionable 6H23P-EB ex-Soviet tubes, which sound lovely: very detailed and a little harsh/bass light to begin with, but mellowed out after a few days to present a very nice sound.

Next came a replacement for the quad op-amp. I obtained an Analog Devices OP 467. On paper, it looks rather good, including a slew rate about twenty-five times greater than the already good-sounding MC 3307.

It sounds very, very different. Of course, I'll give it a good few hours to run it. It's a lush (to me, I'm not expert) sound - warm. A more analogue sound? That's not to say that the details have gone, they're just more recessed; if anything, it's far more detailed. The MC sounded etchy in comparison, but I think seperation was better too. I'm not complaining, I'll just have to decide if I like it...sounding good so far. :)

Anyhow, fiddling being the root of many joys, does anyone have any other suggestions for possible choices? Browsing the forums, the following suggest themselves:

OPA4227
OPA4228
LM4562 Quad - is this the LME49740NA?

I also hope to upgrade the power supply and other caps eventually. I've got some Panasonic FCs to that end, but I'd rather fiddle with op-amps for the moment and then screw it up with my bad soldering later. :smash:

P.S. If anyone is searching for lots of information on the Musical Fidelity Can series - X-Can, X-10D, X-Pre - I'd advice a trip to the Rock Grotto

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.