pc oscilloscope - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th March 2007, 11:07 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yes !! ... in many cases.
Then what is your point about USB 1.1 not being able to handle it? Or do you mean that there are some scopes which do send the raw sample data to the computer? Can you give an example, because I think it's highly unlikely. Partly because USB is not realtime, and the OS may halt the transfer when it sees fit.

Also, when the specs of a USB 1.1 scope say that it can measure up to several megahertz, it seems kind of unlikely that this isn't actually the case because the data transfer speed is not high enough.
Old 11th March 2007, 02:27 PM   #12
Account Disabled

Thanx for your help!
I need the scope only for audio measurements. I build tube amps and need something good and not very expensive just to do my measurements.
I don't need a scope more than 10MHz. Even the 5Mhz that TiePie gives looks ok to me.
Not switching power supplies or class-D audio for me

I think that the TiePie HS3 is the best solution for me.
What do you say?
The Bitscope looks good too but I like the TiePie's design!
Also I don't need that smart POD.....
PicoScopes are more expensive
Old 11th March 2007, 02:58 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

The TiePie site can't be reached at the moment, so I can't have a look, but the specs don't say enough about it's capabilities. For example, the shortcomings I mentioned about my Velleman scope aren't visible in the specs. If the specs seem OK to you, look up some reviews and such on the internet, to find out what people's experiences are.

And, when you get it, be sure to post your experiences in this topic. Might help others some day
Old 11th March 2007, 03:07 PM   #14
Elkaid is offline Elkaid  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Elkaid
Hi,

I'm not sure if you need a pc scope to keep the costs down but a few months ago I bought a new bench LCD color oscilloscope for less than a pc-based one.

7.8" color screen
25-60Mhz
USB interface
etc...

Color LCD 'scopes

Regards,

Emmanuel
Old 11th March 2007, 03:18 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

My 12 MHz PC scope was cheaper than those on the page you linked to. Mine was about 150 euro's.
Old 11th March 2007, 04:24 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Strictly audio?? Strictly for use with a tube amp output / input in the range of 5 to 20K or so?
Check this out: http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...kUSB-main.html " ... requency response: +0.05 / -0.20dB, 22Hz to 22kHz @ 48kHz [sampling rate] ..."
Just add ProTools software or the like or that "free" Cypress tracing program to display the CPU " 'scope traces" ... No?
Old 11th March 2007, 05:48 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

I guess tube amps don't oscillate, but in my opinion, having a scope that can read oscillation or other fault conditions is recommended. What is the use if you can only display test tones a scope? You can use a speaker to determine that it amplifies correctly as well...

If you are going to use a sound card as a sampler, you could simply use some relatively cheap PCI card. No need for a USB module with "effects" that are only in the way.

My recommendation against using a sound card as a sampler still stands though...
Old 12th March 2007, 03:19 PM   #18
Account Disabled

halfgaar,
where else can I see reviews on the internet?

I was thinking for a pc scope cause they have a spectrum analyzer,too and a signal generator ......and you don't need too much space in your small lab to put all your measurement devices!
I allready own an osciloscope. It's an old Hitachi (V302B 30Mhz), a handmade signal generator but they're too old and need some refreshment..........
My scope do some strange things on and on. Also I broke one pot oneday
Anyway I liked the pc scope because with a small device I can have everything.

Just in case, how much a spectrum analyzer costs? I found in net some that are very expensive! If I remember well around 1000 euros?.....

TiePie HS3
Old 12th March 2007, 03:32 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

That TiePie HS3 seems better than my Velleman one. It may be a good choice.

Not every scope is also a signal generator BTW. But, when audio frequencies are concerned, I often simply use a sound card. Unfortunately, they are not always very good. The on-board audio of my workbench PC can't generate a decent square wave, for example. (incidently, this is likely to be the case when using sound card oscilloscope software as well.)

Quote:
where else can I see reviews on the internet?
I have no idea except Google...

Quote:
Just in case, how much a spectrum analyzer costs? I found in net some that are very expensive! If I remember well around 1000 euros?.....
Stand Alone spectrum analyzers indeed are expensive. A PC Scope would be much cheaper.
Old 12th March 2007, 06:11 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

" That TiePie HS3 seems better ... be a good choice. ..."

Yes, a tidy box, capable of several scenarios and 100 Meg resolution, which may be overkill for the original question. (Their US dealer has another one that would do it, and the price isn't bad at all: http://www.teampctechnology.com/prod...ail.php?id=199 ... to 5 Meg res.)

Hide this!Advertise here!