Non-Linear Systems MS-15 Miniscope

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I appreciate all the tips on my oscilloscope post. I'm keeping an eye open for a Tektronix 465B, but in the meantime, I've been given two scopes. The first is an antique which powers up and I'll fool with that one soon, but this little guy looks more recent vintage and thought I'd give a shot getting it working.

The batteries are three 2V Gates Rechargeable D cells and are completely dead and leaking. They are too expensive to bother replacing, not knowing condition of the unit. So...

1. According to what I have learned so far, if the batteries are gone the unit will not work with the adapter (it doesn't). Given the schematic here:

http://pcbunn.cithep.caltech.edu/jjb/NonLinearSystems/ms15-schematic.jpg

does this sound right?

2. Is there a way to use the wall adapter (I have it) to power this thing with the batteries removed? I thought I read somewhere someone claiming they rigged caps and resistors in place of the batteries or something like that. If I got ahold of a 6V power supply, let's say 1A, or a large battery, I'm pretty sure I could get it to work, just trying to use what I have and plugging straight into the unit.

3. What is the device attached to the backplate that the three white wires are suppose to be attach to?

Attachments

• ms15 fuse.jpg
    ms15 fuse.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 171
NLS MS-15 o'scope

Hello, I have one of these scopes that I bought new in the mid 70's when in school. I still have it and still works. But the batters went tits up long ago and the unit DID FAIL to power up. What I believe I did was, scab in a linear DC Regulator inside the unit. It would have been a DC voltage close to the voltage of the batteries. And then probably disabled the charging circuit in front by just a trace cut. I still used the original 'wall wart' that came with it. Also the device on the back panel is Q21.

If you still have it and want to go back into it, I could open mine up and re-trace what I did.

I have the MS-215, same problem. It powers up if you replace the batteries with a large value electrolytic instead of the batteries (3xD-sized lead-acid). btw: Non-Linear still has parts available. I had to replace the Horizontal (Time/Div) control and they had it! Thanks, NL. E

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.