Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th February 2007, 05:23 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Looking for 6/12 amp rotary power switch, Phase 700B amp

Howdy!

I've got a Phase 700B amp that belongs to a friend of mine with a power switch that has welded itself in the on position.

This used to be the most common switch in the world- rotary, 6/12 amp, in a "standard" potentiometer package. This particular sample was made by PR Mallory, but zillions of people used to make them. (This is just like the switch on the bottom of potentiometers, but it's limited in its travel)

Well, now it appears that no one makes them anymore. I have been all over the net, and hit lots of switch manufacturers, and can't find one.

Does anyone have a source for one of these? Or have one? Digikey and Mouser are no-gos.

-Pacific

(Yes, I searched, and got 750 results for the exact phrase "power switch". Trouble is that the search engine thinks "exact phrase" really means, "includes these words." I think it's busted- you try!)
Old 25th February 2007, 06:58 PM   #2
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

I'm familiar with these switched. It is very likely that they are not produced anymore for some strange safety reason.
I'd give these people a call.

Of course there is the less purist option of a toggle switch.

/Hugo
Old 27th February 2007, 03:31 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the pointer. I'd stumbled across that site before, but hadn't thought about getting hold of them. I'll do it.

Toggle switch? Are you kidding? This gal is so fanatical, she wants to buy a busted 700B on eBay just for the switch. She still runs Infinities with Walsh tweeters on them...!

I am just astounded that NO ONE makes a switch like this any more. It's bizarre. Of course, I'm more astounded that I don't have one. I've got zillions of Phase parts (including the weird Guardian open-frame relay AC switch that they use in the preamps), but not this simple power switch.

Thanks, Hugo!

-Pacific
Old 27th February 2007, 03:45 PM   #4

euh..did someone mention a rotary switch...

I must have more but have to look in the unsorted area somewhere deep in the basement.

/Hugo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mvc-814f.jpg (47.9 KB, 92 views)
Old 28th February 2007, 03:15 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hugo:

Yes, very similar to those, but without the pot attached. The switch has limited movement, about, oh, I don't know.. 30 degrees or so?

If you have one I can use for her, I wil definitely be on the hook for a favor.

Thanks,

-Pacific
Old 28th February 2007, 04:10 PM   #6

I found another similar to the one on the left but new.
I have more but none that seems to be able to carry enough current and none without the pot.
You can have one for shipping costs.
If interested, just use the mail system, it should work for you now.

-=Hugo=-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mvc-815f.jpg (29.3 KB, 77 views)
Old 1st March 2007, 06:00 PM   #7
rspamr is offline rspamr  United States
diyAudio Member

I can't say I'm familiar with the Phase amps, much less their switches, but if I'm not mistaken, isn't this just a normal rotary switch, but one that's designed for higher currents?

They still do exist, but try searching for rotary switches, then high current, rather than as rotary power switches. Unfortunately, the fancy ones are not cheap, but I suspect your friend won't mind.

I found this one, which is a little weird, but it's cheap: ITC Electronics
With a quick glance, it seems like most other big supply houses have something to fit this description too.
Old 1st March 2007, 07:22 PM   #8
Bone is offline Bone  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Is this the type of switch you mean?

http://www.lorlin.co.uk/pdf/RMS.pdf

These should be available from RS Components RS Stock no. 316-800 at 0.94 GBP + Tax & carriage

Tony
Old 1st March 2007, 08:00 PM   #9

Nice switches..but they look sooo fragile.

/Hugo
Old 2nd March 2007, 05:13 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Rspamr and Bone:

Thanks for your help. These switches are not the right ones- they're more for lamps and such (and are available at the local hardware store). The problem with them is that they spin around continuously (I.E., you keep turning the switch in the same direction to operate it), as opposed to being limited in motion (ON, right, OFF left).

I might use one of those in desperation if I can't find the right one.

Hugo, just like you, I have a few pots that have the switches on them, and could use one of those. The trouble is that they don't have the limited range of motion that I need. I do very much appreciate your kind offer- I was so hoping you'd stumble across "the" one!

I have just had a thought. Maybe I can modify one to limit its range of motion and simulate the action of the old switch. Hmmm...

If anyone else knows of, or stumbles across a manufacturer, a link would be most appreciated.

Thanks, guys!

-Pacific

Hide this!Advertise here!