Best value pc board mount rca? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd February 2007, 04:48 PM   #1
sendler is offline sendler  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Best value pc board mount rca?

Any favorite pc board mount right angle rca connectors in the $1-2 range?
Old 22nd February 2007, 09:58 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

PCB mount RCA connectors all suffer from the fatal flaw of breaking loose from the board due to the mechanical stress of plugging and unplugging the connectors. The so-called "high-end" phono plugs frequently grip the connector so tightly that you can break the jack loose upon the first insertion.

Even if you use "normal" plugs on the cables, the jack will eventually break free of the PCB.

If you must use a PCB mount connector, look for one that mechanically attaches to the box as well as soldering to the PCB.

Good luck! You're going to need it!

I_F
Old 22nd February 2007, 10:12 PM   #3
Fenris is offline Fenris  United States
diyAudio Member

I bought a bunch from Electronics Goldmine a year or so ago. They looked like the low end WBT (still great plugs). They are both chasis and PCB mount. I think they have sold out, but it's always good to keep an eye out at the surplus places since their inventory is constantly changing.
Old 23rd February 2007, 01:24 PM   #4
pjpoes is offline pjpoes  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to pjpoes
Vampire had some decent board mount rca's but I agree with the problems that board mounts have. They are convenient, but they just don't hold up well. Even if they build them well enough so that they themselves don't fall apart, I find that within 5 years or so the solder joints crack loose, sometimes even doing damage to the boards, such as the pads falling off. You can get much better quality chassis mount RCA's for the same or less, and won't have the problems. I get mine on Ebay, usually can find 20prs or 50prs for very cheap, I think I paid 10 dollars for the silver plated ones.

Hide this!Advertise here!