Monolithic Non-adjustable Regulator chips

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys, I bought some Burson discrete regulators for a phonopreamp, and I'm not having problems with them, poor construction issues. I want to, at least temporarily, replace them now with a plain nonadjustable regulator. Adjustable chips are a possibility but add complexity.

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the available parts, if cost isn't a major concern. From Linear Technologies I have the LT1084 and LT1086, which is available in an adjustable form, and non adjustable form at 12 volts, which will work for my application. Any thoughts on these two chips. I thought the LT1084 would supply more current than I need for this unit, and the cheaper 1086 would make more sense. Does the adjustable version offer better performance.

The other option is the LM1084 from National Semiconductors. I believe is about half the price and offers almost if not identical specifications. Again, the adjustable verison looked like it offered better performance, but I dont really know how to read those sheets well enough to know what I'm reading. Any thoughts.

If I did go with an adjustable chip, all I need to do is place the appropriate resistor on one of the legs correct, leg depends on it being a positive or negative regulator as I recall. I only listed positive regulators but actually need a negative reguator chip as well. Let me know what you guys think. Oh these are replacing a 78/79 series regulator, they are both to-220 chips and appear pin compatible, I hope I have this right.

I just looked it up and appears I was wrong about pin compatibility. Its an easy matter to make it work though, just have to extend the leads with some bits of wire and change how its connected. No big deal. Oh well, it would have been nice if it was a drop in, but still not biggy.

maybe I didnt give it enough time, but I'm just gonna bump this cuz I really could use some help. I want to get the phonopreamp working, and this seemed like the most simple method that would also offer an upgrade. I mean, the specs on most of the 78/79 series chips is pretty bad.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.