ROE Capacitors - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th December 2009, 12:38 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

I've used those in R&D, gutted from EU gear. Didn't have problems on the breadboard.
(bad caps on the breadboard usually show themselves as a little parasitic on the scope, especially in mu-stage/follower configurations)

Cheers!
Old 20th December 2009, 02:18 PM   #12
Magura is offline Magura  Denmark
diyAudio Member

I will have to second Per Anders.

In the past, I have seen blown Roederstein electrolytic caps, I am yet to see a dead Rifa.

Considering that 99% of the electrolytics I use, are Rifa's, and about 0.01% were Roederstein's, the percentage of Roederstein caps in my circuits, has been adjusted to 0%.

Magura
Old 9th November 2012, 01:52 AM   #13
AC439 is offline AC439  United States
diyAudio Member

I know this thread is almost 3 years old from last poster. But I happened to have play around with some ROE 2200uf Gold caps. I soldered a pair of these in parallel to the ELNA 6800uf PS filter caps pair of my JLH dual rail class A amp. The sound has definitely sweetened and warmed up a lot. The female vocals have more air and definitely amazing. Acoustic instruments especially guitar sounds real. The improvement is very obvious. Those ROE caps are just NOS and I didn't apply some low voltages across them before I started using them. But the sound improves as I use the amp more. I think the caps started to breaking in. I think they are very good based on my experiment.
Old 28th February 2013, 04:43 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Is this the one?

Condensatoren Elco's - Radial 4700uF...6800uF - 4700uF 63V 105°C - EOO - ElectronicaOnderdelenOnline
Old 28th February 2013, 06:38 AM   #15
Jay is offline Jay  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

ROE is not so popular outside Germany, but they are very good and I like them. High end amps made in Germany will most probably use them.
Old 28th February 2013, 09:55 AM   #16
AC439 is offline AC439  United States
diyAudio Member

no, not that one, but this one:-
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-NEW-ROE-GOLD-EGM-2200uF-50V-105C-AUDIO-GRADE-HI-END-CAPS-FOR-AUDIO-/180870975760?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item2a 1cc01110
Old 28th February 2013, 01:27 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
More accurate to say that Roederstein is an industrial manufacturer, which made/makes some parts that qualify as high grade components for audio.
Some of those parts are electrolytics, some are foil caps, a couple of resistor series.
Same goes for Siemens, Valvo, etc.

Good example is Frako.
Most of their manufacture was low-grade stuff, that could be bought at any electronic parts retail store around the corner, cheaper than Siemens or Roederstein.
But an interesting part for audio they came up with in the '80s was the 4-pole lytic capacitor.
(unfortunately, most of the current Jensen aficionados were at that time still wetting their nappies)

Same goes for North American industrial brands, such as Mallory, Cornell Dubilier, Sprague (and it's '80s main competitor, that went to the dogs).
Some of their manufacture series stood out and were used for audio, with good reason.

Back in the 1980s (you know, before the web), the way to hunt parts for audio was by using every possible resource to get your grabby hands on Brand Catalogues, in the Fat and Explicit edition.
The datasheets told if a part/type was good, not the brand label.

Assuming that a brand sucks, based on bad experience with individual types, is just as ignorant as thinking everything is divine if it has the right brand label/logo on it.

(Roederstein EB/EG in the 105C versions were the standard axial caps I used up till the mid '90s, main reason was that they were affordable LL-grades at 100-up wholesale rate. The term Roe-Gold makes me giggle)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cornelldubilierelectricvig.jpg (64.6 KB, 257 views)

Last edited by jacco vermeulen; 28th February 2013 at 01:30 PM.
Old 1st March 2013, 03:44 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

One more (technical) question, folks! Please, it's important!

I have 8 units of 3300uF (rated 100V) Nippon Chemi-com electrolytic caps, fresh new ones and of high ripple current.
And I have an +20 years-old amp in need of replace its power 12,000uF (rated 63V) caps, pretty weak sound.

I don't want to buy another pair of 12,000uF for that. I rather used 4x of these 3300uF 100V caps per rail, making a total of 13,200uF (100V) reservoir of capacitance.

My question now is purely technical: each original 12,000uF 63V have ripple current number of ~5A each. These 3300uF 100V instead have (EACH ONE!) 3,28A of ripple current handling. If I put 4x of them in parallel, will I have 13.12A of ripple current combined in a block of 13,200uF (4x 3300uF) ???

Many thanks!

Last edited by Karl vd Berg; 1st March 2013 at 03:54 AM.
Old 1st March 2013, 12:41 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
The main reason to parallel small electrolytic capacitors instead of one biggy.

Which one mainly does with class AB power amps, or e.g. preamps.
In class A power amps, big cans are preferable, as total uF value is the primary target (and large ones have a better/higher uF/volume ratio)

(e.g. Classé, Sphinx, AVM, Swiss Physics, Orpheus)

Last edited by jacco vermeulen; 1st March 2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old 1st March 2013, 12:55 PM   #20
mcs is offline mcs  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bas View Post
It's dark red with white label and it looks "old". The bottom is yellow and round.
Be careful with those - they often don't last long. They are in plastic cans, and are usually orange or dark red (photo attached). Some years ago the first job when you got a B&O L or LX TV in for service, was to replace all of them

Frolyt in East Germany made a similar type in white plastic cans - they are terrible also.

Other ROE or Frolyt caps are generally fine - just watch out for the plastic versions.

Just in case other people read through this revived old thread...

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ROE.jpg (26.2 KB, 213 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!