Multisegment capacitor replacement help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am restoring an old (1946) Gibson BR-4 amplifier and it has a multisegment capacitor 40-10-10 450v that I am trying to find a replacement for.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Ideally I would like to find a new version that would fit into the carcass of the old capacitor to keep the vintage look. I tested the old capacitor on my Sencore LC77 and to my dismay it was not salvagable but then I didn't really expect it would be.

I managed to remove the lid of the old capacitor and take out the components so I now have an empty shell that measures 3 1/4 inches tall by 1 1/8 inch diameter.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

Thanks for the help.

Don:)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

At DigiKey, there are 10uF/450V ECA, EEU, EKM, EKX, VR, and VZ series of caps at 12.5mm dia and 20mm L.

there are 22uF/450V ECA, EEU, EKM, EKX, VR, and VZ series of caps at 16mm dia and 25mm L.

If you are putting them in the case without ventilation, select long life high temperature types. (if I had a choice I would do that anyway)

I restoring vintage equipment there is often room under the chassis for new individual caps. Leave the existing cap in place to conserve the "look". Use existing mounting bolts to fit a few tag strips (or drill new hole(s) if required) and just redirect the wiring from the old multisegment cap to new caps on those tag strips.

Cheers,
Ian

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.