Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Pots with long adjustment knobs
Pots with long adjustment knobs
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2007, 12:50 AM   #1
rtarbell is offline rtarbell  United States
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Sep 2005
Default Pots with long adjustment knobs

I have seen some pictures of amp designs where a volume control pot or selector switch is located in the back of the chassis, but the volume adjustment knob is very long and sticks out the front of the amp.

==> What are these special pots called, the ones with an extended knob? Is there a term for such a pot or selector switch
  Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2007, 01:39 AM   #2
Sonusthree is offline Sonusthree  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
Sonusthree's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sussex, UK
Default Re: Pots with long adjustment knobs

A rod and coupler(s) are normally used to extend a regular pot. Like these : http://www.hificollective.co.uk/comp...tiometers.html
Scroll to the bottom of the page.

Here's how I used a similar method in my Cyrus amp with an Alps blue pot .........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg volume pot.jpg (93.3 KB, 123 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2007, 03:04 AM   #3
theAnonymous1 is offline theAnonymous1  United States
diyAudio Member
theAnonymous1's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Anonymityville
Here's a ready made kit that includes a bushing for the faceplate.........

  Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2007, 03:07 AM   #4
jackinnj is offline jackinnj  United States
diyAudio Member
jackinnj's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Llanddewi Brefi, NJ
Pots with long adjustment knobs
You can get everything you need for this from McMaster extensions etc.
  Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2007, 05:05 AM   #5
I_Forgot is offline I_Forgot  United States
diyAudio Member
I_Forgot's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Phoenix, Az.
I used the flange from an old switch to mount on the front panel, a piece of 1/4" brass tubing from the hardware store, a small piece of urethane air hose, and a couple tie-wraps. The urethane tubing is flexible so the whole assembly will tolerate some misalignment.

Click the image to open in full size.

  Reply With Quote


Pots with long adjustment knobsHide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Misc. used items (pots, knobs, etc.) maurycy Swap Meet 6 31st May 2008 03:38 PM
knob with long end for alpha pots PRNDL Tubes / Valves 3 14th January 2008 12:13 AM
Still looking for dual concentric pots and knobs bremen nacht Parts 1 15th August 2007 07:56 AM
Where can I find good selection of knobs for pots? Hybrid fourdoor Chip Amps 30 15th January 2007 02:58 AM
FS: Noble, Alps pots and knobs Ilianh Swap Meet 3 22nd October 2003 10:58 PM

New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:11 PM.

Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 15.00%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2018 diyAudio