Meridian EMS Plant Tour

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A good video showing those of you not familar how parts are populated onto the PCB with the pick & place, conventional wave and flying probe test and what EMS is all about. Meridian's facilities looks like a typical electronics populating facility. The only thing I see them doing wrong is that none of the operators or the narrator is wearing ESD smocks and no one is wearing ESD wrist straps while siting down, a big NO NO in assembling electronics as the components maybe damaged as they are being touched.

http://www.cinenow.com/uk/play-video-324.html

Nisbeth said:
I haven't seen the videos, but if they don't have ESD protection it can't be an EMS as I understand it (EMS = contract manufacturer) because as you point out they'll never get outside contracts. OTOH, a company's in-house manufacturing can be as sub-standard as they think they can get away with.

/U.
Yes, you are right they are not EMS, but standard common sense practices for electronics should still apply. ESD damages do not show up right away, the assemblies can pass testing and problems can show up later when the assemblies are in the field. To feel a electrostatic shock it takes about 20,000 volts whereas it takes as little as 20 volts to damage IC components.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.