opinions Requested on Xover caps - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th February 2007, 09:20 PM   #1
Renron is offline Renron  United States
diyAudio Member

Default opinions Requested on Xover caps

I am building a pair of Seas Thors, small version. I would like to build my own Xovers as the network schematics don't look too dificult to follow and I can upgrade from the Madisound premium Xovers and burn my fingers with a soldering station at the same time Without getting into the crazy high end $$$ caps like Mundorf supreme silver / gold or Duelund VSF, Does anyone have personal experience with the Clarity caps? The price seems to be too good to be true. I have read the reviews from Tony Gee's Humble website (great site BTW) but am looking for a second opinion. Perhaps the Hovland or sonic caps?
I have searched and read a few threads but would appreciate your input and thoughts. Oh yeah, what type of wire to connect posts to Xovers and Xovers to drivers? Kinda lost on this one..

Thanks all,
Ron
Old 16th February 2007, 08:15 PM   #2
pjpoes is offline pjpoes  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to pjpoes
I just used them and I love them. The Clarity Caps are a great cap for the money, and you will notice that on the Humble Hifo website, he rates the very affordable SA range as highly as the much more expensive Silver/oil Mundorfs. Take his advice and bypass all the large value caps. I used some Phillips polystyrenes I got, and some Wima Film and Foils as well, depending on application and what I had. They sound great. I wouldn't go nuts with the capacitors, I mean, I had a hard time hearing a difference between the inductors I used, I had a hard time with the resistors, but Capacitors seemed to me, to have the largest effect on the sound. It may have been because it was having a larger effect on the highs, I don't know. I've only really compared them with the Solens, Daytons, and Jantzens, and I like them better than all of those.
Old 20th February 2007, 06:55 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Go to Polk Audio website (Polk Speakers). Get on their forum and use "search" to find many threads on speaker cap upgrades....

Hide this!Advertise here!