sony earphones - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th February 2007, 11:16 PM   #1
iturnem is offline iturnem  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default sony earphones

I have a small set of sony earbubs thats came with an mp3 player. My cats got ahold of them and chewed completely through the wire in 2 spots. Now this wire is nothing like ive seen before and doesnt easily splice back together. it is very fine wires taht seem to have some sort of insulator in the middle, but nothing on the outside of them and are all just touching together. im there is some kind of varnish or laminate covering the wires and insulating them from each other. Problem is, there so fine that they almost just break apart when i try to clean them off and they dont seem to connect with each other. I need to find out how to splice these and then how to keep the wires seperated from each other. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12th February 2007, 11:33 PM   #2
sek is offline sek  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi,

the wires are 'enameled' (?!?) with an insulating laquer coating. This isolates them from each other.

Soldering them works like a charm - if you just do it.
You don't need to scratch anything off, just tin the coating with a soldering iron. The coating will flow off and the copper strands will tin. Stinks a little, but is done the same way where they were manufactured.

Hope this helps,
Sebastian.
Old 12th February 2007, 11:41 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

yeah iPod headphone wires are similar, very nice Litz wire in red and green. If I were into turntables I'd have rewired my tonearm with this wire.
Old 12th February 2007, 11:50 PM   #4
iturnem is offline iturnem  Canada
diyAudio Member

great...thx alot. I've been thinking about trying to solder them but just havent done it yet because i wasnt sure it would take. Thx again, i really appreciate the fast response.

Hide this!Advertise here!