Help with Dantimax RelVol1 Problem - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th February 2007, 02:04 PM   #1
SRMcGee is offline SRMcGee  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Help with Dantimax RelVol1 Problem

Folks:

I'd appreciate some advice regarding a problem I'm having with a Dantimax RelVol1 attenuator (the rest of the Dantimax system is working fine). Mikkel Simonsen (of Dantimax fame) has been incredibly gracious and patient in assisting me with this project, but has been unavailable for several weeks. My preamplifier project should be finished once this problem is resolved, and I'm anxious to start listening.

The problem is this: the power relay header on the RelVol1 pcb is not working correctly. It is connected to a 5V DC Omron relay and isn't toggling the relay on. Mikkel asked me to take a few measurements which presumably are adequate for diagnosing the problem if you understand this sort of thing (I do not). The RelVol1 schematic and pcb layout are available at the Dantimax website. Any knowledgable advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mikkel asked that I check the voltage of each of the 3 pins on the transistor located next to the power relay header to ground. He also asked for the voltage readings on both sides of R28 to ground. The readings are provided below when the power is on and when the pcb is in "standby" mode:

Transistor pin 1 (closest to power relay header): 0VDC (power on); 0VDC (standby)
Transistor pin 2 (middle pin): 2.38V DC (power on); 1.69V DC (standby)
Transistor pin 3 (farthest from power relay header): 2.58V DC (power on); 2.55V DC (standby)

R28 (left side, farthest from power relay header): 3.43 V DC (power on); 0.03V DC (standby)
R28 (right side, closest to power relay header): 2.37V DC (power on); 1.68V DC (standby)

I also measured the power relay header pins:

Power Relay Header Pin 1 to Ground -- 2.57V DC
Power Relay Header Pin 2 to Ground -- 4.86V DC
Power Relay Header Pin 1 to Pin 2 -- 2.28V DC

I'd be very greatful if anyone can help me figure out what's wrong with my RelVol1!

Thank you,
Scott
Old 12th April 2007, 01:57 PM   #2
folkeb is offline folkeb  Norway
diyAudio Member

It may not be relevant, and if so, disregard the following. We are currently in the process of building two sets of the dantimax kits, including the relvol3. We also had problems getting it to work, but this was due to the fact that it was not configured properly. I gather you already have done this, but just in case... Follow the instructions in the controller 2 manual. Cycling power means pulling out the mains (took some time for us to figure that one out).

We have some serous noise generated through the kit (controller 2, relvol3 and input2), it is highly possible that it may be a ground loop of some sort. Any others experienced similar issues?

-F
Old 12th April 2007, 11:09 PM   #3
SRMcGee is offline SRMcGee  United States
diyAudio Member

Folkeb:

I should have posted earlier, but the issue was resolved when I replaced the transistor closest to the power relay header. The Aikido preamp has since been completed and is performing beautifully. I've posted the attached photo in a couple of places already, but here is a photo of the completed, two enclosure preamp.

Regards,
Scott
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aikido preamp & ps (front view).jpg (71.1 KB, 141 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!