Replace 2SK389 with other parts?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have pretty much given up hope on obtaining the 2SK389 in order to repair an old Nakamichi amp. Knowing these are dual N-ch fets in one package, has anyone used 2 pieces of FETs (say 2SK170) to replaced 1 piece of 2SK389? Granted that some electrically characteristic may differ (slightly?) between these 2 parts, it is still better than thrashing the amp!
I am particularly seeking anyone who actually has done this before.

Thanks

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
memorylane said:
I have pretty much given up hope on obtaining the 2SK389 in order to repair an old Nakamichi amp. Knowing these are dual N-ch fets in one package, has anyone used 2 pieces of FETs (say 2SK170) to replaced 1 piece of 2SK389? Granted that some electrically characteristic may differ (slightly?) between these 2 parts, it is still better than thrashing the amp!
I am particularly seeking anyone who actually has done this before.

Thanks

I know that even if you try to search here,your head will hurt in few hours of reading ..........
in short-yes,you can do it with two 2SK170.
try to match them before putting it in vivo

for matching......search .........here or in pdfs from Pass's site

You should try and match them closely, usually to within 1 mA Idss or less, if you have a batch of say 20 2SK170 it should not bee to difficult to get close enough values. Depending on how they are biased it might also make sense to use the same current range, i.e. GR/BL/V.

jackinnj said:
you can use a pair of 2sk170's -- i have seen these banded together with a ribbon of thin aluminum.

see attachment

this is the way I use to make a 'dual' transistor

sometimes I wrap a piece of thin copper sheet around them
before I put the wire clip around and tighten

if you want you can also put some silicon grease between transistors
but I think this is not ncessary

Attachments

• 486_2b.jpg
    486_2b.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 533
Line them Up North,

the pictures you post always have a high entertainment value.
On the other hand, you generally make me vision Heinrich Dorfmann. (Hardy Krüger, Flight of the Phoenix)

Model plane/train shops sell thinwall aluminium 1/3" diameter tubes, 0.4 mm wall thickness.
Some of them may offer online shopping on the web.
A little squeeze with some pliers on one side of a piece of tube and 2 face-to-face TO92s slide right in with a drop of thermal glue or a dab of silicon.
Looks much better, my sausage fingers would never get the tie strap fastener around the little critters anyway.

AndrewT said:
Hi Lineup,
glue the To92s together and then wrap two pieces of thick copper wire (1mm diam) around and twist off the ends for some dissipation.

Yes, that is also one way. AndrewT

Actually, I did that a few times before = using some proper 'contact-glue'
This is a glue, that DOES NOT behave agressively into plastic.
Such plastic that transistors are made of.

I have also seen that 'copperwire around' method used.
---------------------------

But practically
I never use anything but my shown method, anymore.
It is so easy and it can be attached with HIGH PRESSURE
in short of time.

It works just great!

Maybe it is because I am not so much a COPYCAT only using other's ideas and ways.

I am a creative man, AndrewT.

I am sure you can contribute some original circuits / amplifiers of your, too.
So we may post some remarks and suggestions for improvement.

It has been as long, long time, since I saw the latest AndrewT circuit design.
With so much knowledge inside your head ... this must Really Be Something :att'n:

Don't be afraid .. I promise not be too hard on you,
I am mostly trying to be positive, as you know. And supportive!
There might be some details I can overlook with, in your Unique Amplifier, AndrewT.
And enjoy the overall circuit and learn ....

I mean, there has to be more than me, lineup,
awaiting the final version of your amplifier .. do not let us all down, please

regards
lineup;) .....................................................................
busy being creative. And positive, when possible.
There are time, where we have to give some critics and directions .. in order to tell the truth.
Isn't it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.