Lead-free, RoHS, etc.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Well ... Ro Hs is real and for me afecting my business,

I've lost 3 major guitar amp manufacturer since I can't
certify my parts as being RoHs compliant.

I have over 6 million carbon comp resistors which has
leaded leads and even the paint to color the color code
is lead paint. Lots of my caps have leaded leads, some
of my wire is tinned copper and lots more, if the US
goes for RoHs I'm going to have a big problem as is
a lot of other people...

EU, Europe has there rules, Japan has a set too and
the US is thinking of doing it too...

Hard to make a living with all these rules...

Steve

jackinnj said:
Well ROE-HAAS is going to be a way of life -- all the transistors I have been getting are now "G" or "PBF" version.

how many cell-phones equal one car battery?

Good point, I have heard that less than 2% of the lead used in one year is from electronics - and that is before RoHS has been implemented everywhere in the electronics industry.

I also heard that more than 80% of the annual lead usage is being used in car batteries.

It seem like a joke – but for many smaller businesses it can mean the end – I guess it is just another political decision made to fool people into thinking that the politicians really care about the environment. It’s tragic really – when you think of all the places where RoHS could be implemented and make an real environmental difference at the same time.

\Jens

Great idea, badly implemented.

They pick on us because they know we can't fight back. If they legislated all car batteries be Li or NiMH, they'd have a civil war on their hands.

Using a propane torch on my circuit boards to get the dang stuff to stick makes a scorched mess too :clown:

AuroraB said:

BTW- I *hate* leadfree solder! just don't f*****g work properly!!

Your not the only one, lead free is very tricky to wet properly, requires higher temperature and proper fluxing. I come from the EMS industry and RoHS is playing a hovac with leaded and non-leaded components as parts distributors want to rid the leaded inventory and customer who have a mix of both type that they want on their assemblies. RoHS components will wet to a leaded profile, but RoHS BGAs is the only exception.

neutron7 said:
"oh all my lead parts are no good for ROHS. i guess ill just throw them in the landfill."

how much lead based components were thrown out in EU because of ROHS?

I can tell you a majority of the bigger manufacturers relabelled their leaded components as RoHS ...its no joke !!! We even caught them in the act and they were in need of an response as one of our major customer found out that the parts on their assemblies had leaded part numbers on it and we as the EMS were caught in the middle ! I see court battles springing up soon and settlements in the millions of dollars.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.