Audient Sumo NE5532, TL072

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello!

I need Help!
I recently bought an "Audient Sumo", a summing mixer that just mixes 8 stereo channels to 1 stereo, without volume pots. It also has a built in compressor/ limiter. I'm into mixing music and I needed an analog stage to do the mixing, outside of my DAW, and since it claims to be a "Class A Summing Amplifier", I just bought it.
When I opened it, i noticed that it uses a lot of NE5532 in the input/output stages and some tl072 in the compressor/limiter stage. Doing A/B comparison tests I noticed a lack of highs and mudder mids, less 3d in the mix when using the sumo. I read some reviews about this opamps and found out that they generally suck (especially the tl072). Doing a research on the net, I discovered the op249. I wanted to ask if I could replace both the ne5532 and the tl072 with op249. Can anyone help me? If I do it, do I need extra caps and other things? If I send pictures etc. would that help? Please help me out.. I'm kind of new with opamp replacements :(

Thank you

I don"t know about the OPA249 But I know that the OPA2134 is a Very good replacement for the TL072 and the OPA2604 is Good replacement for the NE5532.....

These opamps are several Times as expensive as the NE5532 and TL072 but should make good replacements....

You might also consider that the Opamps might not be the Limiting Factor here but maybe the Circuit topology so any Improvement in overall sound might be Minimal or even non-existant.....

Cheers

Thank you very much for your reply! Do I eventually need to modify anything regarding caps etc.? The design of the summing device is new and, as far I can tell, well built. The transformer is torroidal and far away from the audio circuit. Any additional help would be very welcome!

Well the TL072 can be Replaced with the OPA2134 without any Modifications to the Curcuit, The NE5532 can be replaced with the OPA2604 without any Real Modifications also but the OPA2604 has a Higher Voltage Limit can can be run at up to +/-24v as opposed to +/-18v for the NE5532 (But usually run at +/-15v) so if you can get a few more Volts going to the 2604 Chips you should have quite a Bit of Increased Headroom but they should still run Fine at 15v or 18v as Modding the Unit so it puts out 24v for the OPA2604 chips would probably be quite difficult......

I don"t know if your Unit uses Sockets for the Opamps but if it doesn"t it would be a Good Idea to Install some opamp sockets so it is easy to Switch out different Chips......

Without seeing a schematic and layout of the Circuit I couldn"t really tell you what other mods would be beneficial.....

Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.