A Grounding Concern - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th January 2007, 08:15 PM   #1
Code is offline Code  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default A Grounding Concern

Hello! :-)

I have the following audio setup,

TA2020 Amplifier (Charlize) + Skynet 8080 PSU to Playstation 1 !

Unfortunately I have a concern after reading this page;

http://dogbreath.de/Audiodigit/Audiodigit.html

Specifically this part:

"Grounding issues: The amp PCB has its own grounding scheme and I have left it as it is. The PCB ground is not connected to the case, and the RCA and speaker-cable posts are isolated from the case.

The mains ground is directly connected to the PSU case (safety earth). One wire of the power-supply connection (red cable) used for the connection of this ground to the amp.

This wire directly connects the cases of the amp and the PSU (and hence the amp case is indirectly connected to mains earth this way). This connection is important. The background noise is considerably reduced and touching the case does not lead to any hum. Before I had this connection I could hear a distinct hum when I touched the case of the amp."

The only grounding I have is on the 3 pin connector from the skynet psu to the wall socket! Other than that there are no other ground connections, the cases are not grounded.

I am wondering weather there is a benefit to be had from additional grounding?
Old 24th January 2007, 10:11 PM   #2
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
is the ungrounded equipment Double Insulated (here in the UK and Europe they carry the double square symbol to indicate compliance)?

Equipment that meets the Double Insulated do not require the exposed conductive parts to be safety earthed.

If the equipment does not comply then ALL exposed conductive parts MUST be safety earthed. That includes the RCA sockets and speaker terminals.

The ONLY benefit is safety.
But the disadvantages are that the audio ground becomes contaminated with the noise on the safety earth and the possiblity of creating an earth loop/s with other equipment.
Old 24th January 2007, 11:13 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

As Andrew said, the only benefit to connecting the mains ground is safety.

I personally don't think the questionable "safety" of connecting the mains ground on such a low powered setup is worth the noise problems it can create.

Go to your local electronics shop and take a look around at the stereos and TV's they sell. You will be lucky to find even one with a ground prong. Are they trying to kill you? Of course not.

EDIT: I just realized your in the UK. I understand the mains voltage is a lot higher there so the concerns are probably greater.
Old 24th January 2007, 11:18 PM   #4
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi US listeners,
do you have the equivalent to the "Double Insulated" category of mains powered equipment?
Quote:
Go to your local electronics shop and take a look around at the stereos and TV's they sell. You will be lucky to find even one with a ground prong
I realise your edit came after you wrote this but here we can only use three pin plugs. Even double insulated have three pin plug tops, but the third pin is often insulating (plastic) to enable the plug top to be inserted into the socket outlet.
Old 26th January 2007, 10:26 AM   #5
Code is offline Code  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Cheers guys!

Hide this!Advertise here!