Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd January 2007, 03:43 PM   #1
pjpoes is offline pjpoes  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to pjpoes
Default 1000uf at 400v, need suggestions

I'm currently working on replacing some parts inside my Ming Da tube amp. It has 10-1000uf at 400v electrolytics from Rubycon. These may be perfectly fine quality, I know that Rubycon makes some good capacitors, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. For one thing, given that its a chinese product, I question if they are real, but they do appear to be. I have little experience with Solens, but the Solen capacitors in it were among the worst quality film caps I have ever seen, the out tape was peeling off of all of them, and overall construction quality seemed poor.

If anyone knows of some good capacitors to use in that place, let me know. If those are probably fine, would bypassing the diode bridge with some film caps be a good idea to further reduce noise.

Also the unit has some small value high voltage caps, and I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts. For instance I have 4-47uf at 400volt caps from a company called Nova(?). Also some 120uf at 400volts from Rubycon, and some inexpensive Elna's. Whats a good source for these high voltage caps? Thanks.
Old 23rd January 2007, 04:20 PM   #2
Pars is offline Pars  United States
diyAudio Member

Digikey... Panasonic TSHA or other variants (TSHB, etc.)
Old 24th January 2007, 03:03 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Cornell-Dubillier makes some nice caps. The ones I have are very solidly built and made in the US.
Old 24th January 2007, 01:49 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

yes but do they have any in the specific value I need. I think I looked and did not see any 1000uf in either of those brands. Also, would they actually be an upgrade over the Rubycons, assuming they are real rubycons.
Old 24th January 2007, 01:59 PM   #5
Pars is offline Pars  United States
diyAudio Member

Not sure who you were talking to, but Digikey has Pana THA P10675-ND as well as two others in stock... 1000uf/400V 105 degree C snap-in. The Pana caps are good
Old 26th January 2007, 11:36 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AudioFox
Cornell-Dubillier makes some nice caps. The ones I have are very solidly built and made in the US.

Cornell-Dubilier certainly does have a wide range of caps. A note of interest here is that their larger caps in the 100V 35,000uF range are blue, the same blue as "ADCOM" amplifier capacitors that are supposedly made by ADCOM and not available anymore! Any comments/clarifications?

Cornell-Dubilier Capacitors Web Site
Old 28th January 2007, 01:01 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Mouser has Nichicons in that value. They're only available in multiples of 4 though, and run about $16 each. I think they'd be at least as good as Rubycon...a pretty standard, reliable cap.
Old 28th January 2007, 02:43 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I appreciate your comments, however, there is nothing wrong with these rubycons, so if all I am looking at is a sideways step, I won't bother for now. I will try bypassing all of them with film caps maybe. It currently is setup in an RC network, so I might try upgrading the resistors as well.

Hide this!Advertise here!