RIFA PEH169 Caps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, here's the response I got back from KEMET distribution:

"Kemet have switched all large can production to the BHC method and now impregnate the winding before it is canned, hence no extra fill of electrolyte.

Although this may be considered as a retrograde step by many, it is more than compensated by the adoption of BHC's forming process which is superior to that previously adopted by Evox Rifa."

MCampbell said:
OK, here's the response I got back from KEMET distribution:

"Kemet have switched all large can production to the BHC method and now impregnate the winding before it is canned, hence no extra fill of electrolyte.

Although this may be considered as a retrograde step by many, it is more than compensated by the adoption of BHC's forming process which is superior to that previously adopted by Evox Rifa."

Hmm, interesting :)

What the forming process is going to do for the lifespan of the cap, is a little unclear to me?

The "old" PEH-169's, had virtually indefinite life.
What the data sheet claimed, was way below the reality.

I guess that "mismatch" is fixed then? :xeye:

Don't get me wrong, I still think they're up among the best PSU caps, but it's sad they're no longer superior to anything else.

Magura :)

Magura said:

Hmm, interesting :)

What the forming process is going to do for the lifespan of the cap, is a little unclear to me?

The "old" PEH-169's, had virtually indefinite life.
What the data sheet claimed, was way below the reality.

I guess that "mismatch" is fixed then? :xeye:

Don't get me wrong, I still think they're up among the best PSU caps, but it's sad they're no longer superior to anything else.

Magura :)

That certainly is the key question: what now is the achievable lifespan of the cap?

Wihout knowing what actual impact the overfilling with electroyte had on lifespan, I guess it's difficult to say.....

I'll keep asking the manufacturer questions on this one though....

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I was surpriced to see how Panasonic spec theirs
lifespan of say 5000hours at 80degr means that the cap have been exposed to 80degr, for a short time
when the cap have been reformed to 20degr, it means that the cap will last another 5000hours, at 20degr

in other words, a matter of security, giving enough time to change the cap that accidentally was exposed to excessive heat

basicly it means that a 100.000hour 105degr cap will not last very long at 105degr
but only that it still works ok for a long time, after a posssible accident

Status
Not open for further replies.