diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Parts (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/parts/)
-   -   Belden 83264 (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/parts/94874-belden-83264-a.html)

DcibeL 23rd January 2007 10:30 AM

Belden 83264

This may be a bit of a useless thread since I am going to do what I am going to do regardless, but opinions are always nice. I have acquired some Belden 83264 cable from my workplace where we use it in several different RF systems. I am planing to build RCA interconnects with this cable and use it solely throughout my system. I am sure it is a perfect cable for the digital coax from my source to my DAC, but for audio frequencies I am a bit unsure.

I remember reading that steel leads are a poor choice over copper for audio circuits, though this cable is silver plated copper coated steel which I bet is a lot better than straight steel. I also have read that a normal audio interconnect can be up to 600 Ohms characteristic impedance, so I am unsure what type of effect a low impedance 75 Ohm cable will have (at this point I am assuming lower = better). I should really take one of my audio interconnects to work and measure their impedance characteristics with a network analyzer to compare.

Anyway, here's the datasheet, I'd love to hear your thoughts and I really really REALLY don't want to hear a bunch of malarkey about fancy cables don't make a difference, or a long drawn out argument about dielectrics, etc. It seems threads about cables get carried away very easy, and I'd like to prevent that preemptively. I just want thoughts on this cable and this cable only, yay or nay?

Thank-you.

Frank Berry 23rd January 2007 10:52 AM

At 19.5 pF of capacitance per foot, it should be okay for audio. Why not build a couple of cables and listen to them?

DcibeL 23rd January 2007 06:45 PM

I plan to, I just have to do some shopping for RCA terminations first.

rdf 24th January 2007 02:00 AM

Re: Belden 83264

Quote:

Originally posted by DcibeL
I remember reading that steel leads are a poor choice over copper for audio circuits, though this cable is silver plated copper coated steel which I bet is a lot better than straight steel. ... I'd love to hear your thoughts and I really really REALLY don't want to hear a bunch of malarkey about fancy cables don't make a difference....
Hi DcibeL. My brother and I are both very long time audiophiles and DIYers but in most other respects related to the field complete opposites. I'll spend time carefully choosing caps and sometimes wire, he's more in the 'malarky' camp. He'ld probably be 100% in the M-camp had he not built interconnects from copper-coated steel Belden similar to that save for an air/teflon dielectric. On that point we both agreed the result was awful. So my recommedation is visit the local Sask Ratshack and pick up an 8-pack of the cheapest, candy-coloured RCA connectors they carry. They're non-magnetic (probably tin) and the centres melt easily (possibly polystyrene.) Then build a 6-foot pair of interconnects with the Belden and take the journey, judge for yourself. At the very worst it's a $4 CDN experiment.

DcibeL 24th January 2007 05:42 AM

I am planning to buy some cheap RCA terminations from my local electronics store which will be much cheaper than the RatShack (what a ripoff that place is) and of better quality as well. I am currently using very cheap cables from I think the company is called MusicMan that I found to be absolutely great for the price. Can't go wrong with $10 for a 6 foot interconnect, or $15.50 for a 6 foot 75 Ohm component video cable that can be used just as well for digital audio. I will do some comparisons of cheap versus fancy (but also cheap) and truthfully I'll be surprised if I can hear any difference at all.

DcibeL 26th January 2007 08:15 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I built one set of cables tonight, have to make another set just like it and the digital transmission cable still. I think they look pretty darn good.

diytoon 6th February 2007 12:56 AM

and how do they sound???

I use this cable for every connection in my system...both digital and analog...

diytoon 8th June 2007 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by DcibeL
I built one set of cables tonight, have to make another set just like it and the digital transmission cable still. I think they look pretty darn good.
they must be ran in by now...
probably too busy listening to music now...

????????how do they sound in your sytem???????????

DcibeL 13th November 2007 07:52 PM

Cables don't make the sound, they just move it from one place to the next ;), and these do so very well. They're very well suited for SPDIF transmission, especially if you put BNC connectors on the end, but also work well as analog interconnects.

lne937s 14th November 2007 03:43 PM

I have had fantastic luck with Monoprice for HDMI cables (as well as a projector mount)- and will probably buy my next interconnects there. I was kind of nervous about the quality, considering the price, but everything seems great. I think they also ship to Canada.

It is kind of amazing how much markup there must be on cables.