Shaft adapters for pots / fitting 1/4" knob to 1/8" - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st January 2007, 05:51 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Shaft adapters for pots / fitting 1/4" knob to 1/8"

I'm looking at getting a few pots made by Precision Electronics Components (actually under the NTE name), because they're supposed to sound great and are a good compromise between the standard cheap stuff and something like Alps, $7-10 each.
They're for my guitar amplifier. I also want them because they would be wired to the PCB rather than directly soldered in, which will make it *much* easier to remove the PCB, and will stop stressing the tube ribbon cables so much when I do.

The only model I can actually find for sale that would fit in my amp has an 1/8" solid, slotted shaft. Problem is, the usual guitar amp chicken head knobs are only made for 1/4" flatted shafts (as far as I can tell).

If I have to use a different kind of knob, it's not the end of the world, in the end it's a minor priority. But I'm wondering if such a thing exists that would adapt the 1/8" knob to 1/4", some kind of sleeve or something. Or if there's some relatively simply way to make a chicken head knob work on an 1/8" shaft, but still be removeable (no glue ).
Old 21st January 2007, 06:12 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Go to McMaster-Carr and plug in part number 7782T211.

It's 1/4" brass tube with a 0.12" inside diameter. You may have to use a 1/8" drill bit to open it up just a hair to fit on the 1/8" shafts.

Cut a length the same as the depth of the 1/4" hole in the knobs and drill a hole in the side large enough to provide clearance for the knob's set screws (might have to get longer set screws which can be found at McMaster-Carr as well) and placed so as to align it with the set screw hole (just put it in and tighten down the set screw to mark the point).

Clean it up with a bit of filing and some wet/dry sanding and you should be good to go.

Good luck!

se
Old 22nd January 2007, 05:24 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thank you! That's exactly what I was looking for.

Hide this!Advertise here!