External power supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone,

I've been lurking around here for about 3-4 weeks and am completely amazed at the wealth of information available on these forums and the generosity of members who share their knowledge and expertise with one and all. I'm not sure if I consider myself an audiophile but I do appreciate a bit-perfect "WAV file" playing in my family room :D

Not sure if this is the right place/forum to ask this question but I'm interested in building an external power supply box and was looking for an available circuit design/PCB that could be leveraged for this purpose. The power supply will be used to power the following devices:
- Slim Devices
- DAC-1 or maybe a replacement DIY DAC
- CJ Premier 11A Amp and/or a DIY Pass Amp

The expectation is that this power supply will have the capability to send the output voltage directly to the DIY DAC and the DIY Amp while cranking out clean 110/60 output to a couple of standard electrical outlets for source systems that I may purchase later :) I'm hoping that having the power supply external to these DIY devices will help minimize interaction effects...

Budget between $500 - 1000 (too much, too little???)

Any help will be greatly appreciated. BTW, I am a complete newbie and this is my first post so please be gentle... :)

TIA

Hi,
can I suggest you have a scan through some of the posts in http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=54009

The info in there may convince you that DAC PSU should be done VERY close to each of the chips, not back at the internal PSU and certainly not externally.
You might reach a different conclusion.

I find it difficult to completely eliminate hum and buzz in dedicated PSU/stereo power amplifiers. Monoblocks are much easier, but for those who follow the usual advice even this is not easy.

I fear that a common PSU for a series of independant units will create such a complex grounding system that elimination of earth loops problems may be near impossible.
Treat that advice as you will.

Hi Audiolace,

You might want to consider different PS s for different functions, rather than bundle them all into one:

1. Audiophile gear tends to separate power supplies, rather than aggregate them, sometimes going as far a dual-mono supplies in stereo gear.

2. Separate supplies will allow you to use the gear separately, and have greater flexibility in upgrading, etc.

Just a thought.

Have fun!

George

Dr. D,

Oops... major clarification required on my side... :eek:

The intent was to put in multiple TXs into a single box and not have one TX to power multiple devices... (it would be nice if I could say what I mean... :smash: ) I'm also thinking of implementing balanced circuits for the DAC and Amp so I guess separate PS may be required/better... Hope that helps clarify.

Based on what I've read so far, it seems like as long as the distance between the PS and connected devices is less than 2-3 ft everything "should" be ok...

AndrewT,

Skimmed through about 750 postings and a gazzillion more to go. Very interesting :) I'll keep looking for comments on the location of the PSU and reasons why that's a better solution.

BTW, it looks like Plitron TXs are quite popular (and expensive). Any others mfgs. that I should consider?

TIA.

The SB3 uses about an amp at 5V. It is usually cheaper and easier to simply buy a surplus linear regulated 5V supply than to make you own. Herbach and Rademan has a bunch of supplies that will work, some for about $10. 5V linear supplies are manufactured and surplussed by the millions every year. It isn't hard to find them if you look.

The SB3 powers the analog stages from a dc-dc converter (i.e. SMPS) that provides HV for the display. If any benefit to the sound is to be obtained from a power supply change, it will be from cutting that power connection and feeding power to the analog stages from an external source. I believe the DAC runs on 5VDC. Using a Jung super regulator to provide that power is probably the best thing you can do. Will you hear a difference? Who knows?

I_F

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.