zero resistance faders?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm trying to modify a commercial synthesiser (internal electronics of synthesisers are so awesome!) to make my own personalised audio controller with super stylish faders arranged really ergonomically, so I am on a mission to find some of the best faders available so I could just move them with flicks of the finger.

does anyone know if there are faders with adjustable friction? is there some special terminology I should look for, places around the UK with tons of really nice faders. anything about to 3 inches long and very slithery would be lovely.

with potentiometres, do I have to find something with a very special type of resistance by measuring voltages and all sorts or do all potentiometres just go from zero to full resistance?

thank you!

EDIT:I would love to be able to find or make a good 10k ribbon controller instead, much more ergonomic than a clunky old fader:)
http://asmidius.googlepages.com/home

sounds very nice, I've e-mailed the the guy from Penny and Giles to ask what the actuation force on them is, I phoned him and asked him how much it was in gram-force but he told me they weigh 15 g so I guess we got confused. it should say the specifications really.

I'm thinking I might phone a couple of places to ask them to do a pencil test on them, tap a pencil on the fader like tapping a teaspoon and if it manages to get to the end of the track in about five taps then it means it's not stiff, if it takes 35 it means it's stiff as a dead rat.:)

Also bumped into a company that does futuristic faders with no moving parts and things like that so I've asked for some samples, would love to have some futuristic faders:)

I'll love to try them one day, for the moment I found a really fantastic solution by being very lucky.

I got some from eBay that looked quite nice, they turned up and they are really nice quality and can be popped into pieces and fine tuned, so when I got them and they were really tight, full of grease and springy bits, and now they are gliding on air, perfect for crossfaders to scratch with and MIDI controllers. Except I have 17 of them because now I have bought the lot:) made in Japan chunky little things:) 2.5"

Attachments

• f405_1.jpg
    f405_1.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 42
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.