Leaky Caps? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th January 2007, 11:16 PM   #1
Plundering the Planet From the Comfort of Home
diyAudio Member

Default Leaky Caps?

I found these caps in my Luxman R-115 I just powered up after probably a decade of rest in someones basement. The orientation is correct, this brown stuff is on the topside of the cap, I'd expect it to run down, so I'm not sure if it came from the cap. No other brown like this anywhere in the unit. I'm not sure if it is leaking from the cap, could it possibly be some kind of glue? It is not liquidity, it is dry. The caps read .08 on my ESR and they are daisy chained, so the value is good. They are 1000uF/35volt. The unit does act a little funny, I think the filter caps may be bad, but that is a subject of another post. Should I change these, though they read fine?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg leakycaps800medlow.jpg (94.6 KB, 199 views)
Old 14th January 2007, 11:36 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Looks like glue to me, but you might want a second opinion.
Old 14th January 2007, 11:59 PM   #3
diyAudio Moderator

Looks like glue to me too.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 15th January 2007, 12:05 AM   #4
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Is this under a perforated portion of the cover?
Old 15th January 2007, 02:24 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

"Is this under a perforated portion of the cover?"

Yep. The entire topside has perforations on this unit, these caps are directly below. And there was a huge glob of wax on the mainboard towards the back and on some of the rear connectors. The previous owner was using the receiver as a candle holder, apparently...
Old 15th January 2007, 06:02 AM   #6
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

They sure made em big in the good ol' days hey... at least if the bug bites, those will be cheap swapouts, and you could easily even get higher capacitance caps in there in the same size....
Old 15th January 2007, 12:34 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I have some NOS 50v 2200uf Nichicon VX caps you can have for the low low price of FREE! They are approximately 18mm x 35mm. If you think you can make them fit just drop me a mail with your addy.

Pic of caps
Old 15th January 2007, 04:49 PM   #8
radtech is offline radtech  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pinkmouse
Looks like glue to me too.
Yup, definitely glue, seen this stuff plenty of times. Looks like they used it on these caps because they're mounted horizontally, didn't want the weight of the cap pulling on the leads.
Old 16th January 2007, 02:02 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by theAnonymous1
I have some NOS 50v 2200uf Nichicon VX caps you can have for the low low price of FREE! They are approximately 18mm x 35mm. If you think you can make them fit just drop me a mail with your addy.

Pic of caps
Thanks for the offer, I think I have some similar caps laying around from an aborted PC power supply repair project. Anyways, given the measurements and the probability that it is glue (I found the fact that the stuff was on the topside rather than running down to be suspicious), I'm going to let alone for now.

Hide this!Advertise here!