Leaky Caps?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I found these caps in my Luxman R-115 I just powered up after probably a decade of rest in someones basement. The orientation is correct, this brown stuff is on the topside of the cap, I'd expect it to run down, so I'm not sure if it came from the cap. No other brown like this anywhere in the unit. I'm not sure if it is leaking from the cap, could it possibly be some kind of glue? It is not liquidity, it is dry. The caps read .08 on my ESR and they are daisy chained, so the value is good. They are 1000uF/35volt. The unit does act a little funny, I think the filter caps may be bad, but that is a subject of another post. Should I change these, though they read fine?

Attachments

• leakycaps800medlow.jpg
    leakycaps800medlow.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 237
"Is this under a perforated portion of the cover?"

Yep. The entire topside has perforations on this unit, these caps are directly below. And there was a huge glob of wax on the mainboard towards the back and on some of the rear connectors. The previous owner was using the receiver as a candle holder, apparently...

theAnonymous1 said:
I have some NOS 50v 2200uf Nichicon VX caps you can have for the low low price of FREE! They are approximately 18mm x 35mm. If you think you can make them fit just drop me a mail with your addy.

Pic of caps

Thanks for the offer, I think I have some similar caps laying around from an aborted PC power supply repair project. Anyways, given the measurements and the probability that it is glue (I found the fact that the stuff was on the topside rather than running down to be suspicious), I'm going to let alone for now.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.